on 15 June 2009
This book proved very useful on a recent holiday to Lake Como - however it is very heavy on the text and has limited photo's. I personally believe (like cookery books), that guide books should have a good selection of photo's to give you an idea of what's to come. It is a great book in terms of providing lots of practical information on driving, parking and everyday useful information, but as it covers such a vast area of Italy it doesn't really drill into the detail of any one place. I took 2 guide books on holiday, the other being the Insight Guides Italian Lakes (the larger version rather than the compact edition) and between both of them I got all the information I needed while away on holiday. The Rough Guides book does have a bit of a tourist phobic edge to it, however having spent several, hot sunny days surrounded by fellow tourists and coach loads of people herding about - it does provide you with some alternatives to the popular attractions and is especially useful if you have a car to get around in at your own time and pace.
on 17 November 2006
Our trip to Lake Garda last month was superb, and this book was a crucial element in making it so. The recommendations were spot on, particularly in helping us to avoid the spoilt package holiday destinations (of which there are many around Garda), and instead finding the real "Lago di Benaco". Thank you Rough Guides!
on 16 April 2011
This guide is the best guide to the Italian Lakes that I've seen. I know this area well and feel it's writing on Maggiore and Como is accurate, readable and captures the beauty of these two places well. I wasn't disappointed by any of the recommendations. It's almost as if the writers got bored with this when it comes to Garda and Iseo. Like other reviewers I'm a bit puzzled at the treatment of Lake Garda - admittedly it's worth saying it can get very busy but Malcesine isn't 'ruined' by tourism - just wrong. The writers should remember that Lake Garda is for many the first introduction into the region - don't put them off beautiful places! On a recent trip to Lake Iseo I found the Lonely Planet Guide much more accurate. I've never seen a more untouristy place than the 'very touristy' Iseo town - the place is lovely but you wouldn't know it from this book. That said, I think cafe/restaurant tips are always accurate in this guide - often what makes your holiday. Like others a few more photos and maps would help. I would fully recommend this book if you're visiting the western lakes but perhaps look for elsewhere for Lake Garda or Iseo.
on 9 April 2009
I bought this book hoping it would provide me with a great guide to Lake Garda for my trip this coming June. I was sadly mistaken. I got the impression throughout the Lake Garda section (I cannot comment on the rest as I haven't read it) that the writers are snooty, snobby and cannot bear to "rough it up" by walking through tourist areas (WOW really?! Busy towns in one of the most beautiful places in Italy! What a surprise.) They seem to have nothing but negative comments for the Lake Garda towns, describing restaurants as "awful" and "uninspired". Why waste your time writing a book this long if you hate the area? Thankfully the whiny writers haven't put me off my trip. The only plus point I can think of is that the maps are useful but you can find these in other books too.
on 11 August 2009
Like a previous reviewer, I visited Lake Garda. All villages and the lake itself are beautiful; food, drinks, views and people are fantastic, but the authors seem to have only negative comments - not sure why they bothered to write the book. It is supposed to be a recent edition, but the information centre in a few villages seemed to have miraculously moved from the position on the map. I recommend that you look for another book, and if you are visiting Lake Garda soon, I envy you.
on 24 November 2010
The book is OK but there are not enough maps or overview of the whole area on a mapto give you a better idea of locations etc.
on 28 July 2006
After searching high and low for a relevant guide book we found this beauty. The guide is well written, concise and easy to use. It became our 'bible' on our recent trip to the Italian Lakes'

The hotel & restaurant reviews were spot on.
on 14 September 2010
Just got back from great trip to Verona, Lake Garda, Padova and Venice. Used this book for Verona especially and found it very useful and accurate for hotels and especially the recommended restaurants there which we enjoyed a lot and really found it useful to know which ones were open on what days etc. We arrived late in the evening and went around the corner to a recommended restaurant from this guide and were very happy with it. Plenty of useful info about the Arena where we saw the opera in Verona. Brief and good info about the various towns and villages around Lake Garda - there are tourist info points centrally located in every town and city anyway and this guide provides you with details of those and then you can get more detailed info re trains, hotels etc. from them anyway. Hadn't planned Venice initially and kind of tacked it on for a day at the end of a trip. Didn't have much of a guide book (Venice and Padova are not covered in this guide) and ended up eating in touristy place since we had no specific info about restaurants and not much time. So the Rough Guide recommendations do make a difference in my opinion to the quality of the experience with regard to knowing where to eat out. Would definitely buy one of their guides again when planning future trips.
on 23 April 2009
Super book, bang up to date (more so than some websites) and packed full of useful info. Have a few guide books to the area but this is the only one we take.
on 14 February 2011
Great price, much lower than recommended price on sleeve, but....... The guide is comprehensive, but as other reviews have mentioned, is extremeley negative. It is as though the authors are trying to be above the great unwashed by finding fault where none really exists. An example is the continual moaning about Lake Garda resorts not being able to cope with their popularity in peak season. Can anywhere cope, especially our own Lake District. Apart from that, for the price, a realistic purchase.