Customer reviews

on 8 September 2017
Easy on the read
on 4 April 2012
Zizek is known for being hard to read at the best of times. He tends to speak as thoughts literally run through his brain. He just types what he thinks, so you often get a lot of information, and your often taken on a strange journey before he finally concludes something, sometimes he throws in the odd joke or some film reference. On top of that he seems to have a lot of time for Marx and Lacan and sometimes Freud. So the words alienation, Big Other, Ego, Super ego, pop up a lot. Zizek has a wonderful mind, but unfortunately he talks a bit to much at times, so its hard to pin point where he stands on a lot of issues. The book itself is average. I think it struggles to really explain Zizek to people. That said the book does have a few pages here and there that are really interesting. He touches on desire, temptation, a little bit on communism, how charity can sometimes be a bad thing, he even touches on more taboo subjects like violence and how sometimes its justified, the paranoia of 9/11, and also a little bit of psychoanalysis is thrown in. That said Zizek is someone we should always doubt. I am not sure I always buy into his views on things, for example his anti-capitalism views and analysis are very good, but he doesn't really offer a solution to the worlds problems. That being said, there is no one else like him. Worth a read. But even after buying several of Zizek's own books his position on a lot of things still remain hazy to say the least.
on 4 December 2016
It's been a few years since I've read something from the "Introducing" series. I went through a stage where I was reading a fair number of them, having got a load at a discounted price. This is the first one I've read since they have started printing them in the new, smaller and compact format and I have to say that I am pretty impressed with it. Like the "School of Life" series, I think these books are great, covering a whole number of interesting subjects, people and ideas.

This gives us a guided look into Zizek's work without getting too bogged down, true there were times, where I was having to go back and re-read certain pages but I felt the balance was struck nicely between informative and instructive. The importance of Lacan, Freud and many other philosopher's and critical thinkers are explained and the art work is always clever, inventive and often playful in its execution, so overall this little book gives us a nice overview into his life and work and makes some useful suggestions for future reading too.
on 14 May 2012
I have really enjoyed this introduction. It was far better than I expected. I should say that i have read many Zizek books, so I was not starting from zero, but it made many things come together. It made sense of things .. sorry Slavoj.
on 31 December 2014
Very helpful overview of where to start looking to understand this prolific author and thinker. Very useful as a jumping-off point, although more indexing of these ideas to their originating texts would have been even more useful.
on 24 August 2014
Insightful and clear.
on 2 August 2013
Zizek is a very crazy guy. A real weirdo. But he says some interesting things sometimes for sure - the problem is it's hard to give it context and continuity. This book does that, by explaining a general overview and framework of Zizek's ideas.
on 27 September 2015