on 23 February 2014
This is a great introduction to the world of Positive Psychology, it is easy and enjoyable to read. It has some great ideas on how you can boost your own well being and overall happiness. A book I recommend to others and often get read aspects of to help me reflect on myself and how I can continue to boost my own well being. Thank you
on 19 February 2017
A new "theory" to me. When I was studying for my counselling diploma I learned about psychodynamic, humanistic and cognitive approaches to therapy. Positive psychology is just what the name suggests. You are encouraged to focus on the positive aspects of your life or your situation rather than on the negative. This seems simple enough but I think it depends on what exactly your issues are, and the severity of them. For some people it will be easier to focus on the positive than for others, depending on your past experiences, upbringing etc. I found it easy to follow, it is an interesting read and I took a lot of positive things from it (see what I did there?)
on 17 August 2012
As a coach and teacher of online courses in Positive psychology, I'm always on the look out for good introductory texts to recommend to clients and students. I found this book easy to read, broad in its scope and practical in its emphasis. I liked the way it brought in related themes like appreciative enquiry, mindfulness and nutrition. There were a few places where the broad brush strokes of an overview seemed to over-simplify, for example, acknowledging some downsides to being an optimist though not saying much about what these are. But adding more depth would have made the book bigger, and I liked its small size and readability. For someone new to the field, I'd recommend this book. It offers an engaging and practical introduction to positive psychology.
Chris Johnstone, co-presenter of The Happiness Training Plan: practical strategies for a happier life from the new science of positive psychology, [...]
on 8 March 2014
For a first time read on this topic, I would highly recommend this book "Introducing Positive Psychology; A Practical Guide
on 10 August 2013
Useful summary of positive psychology that I have used in my academic and clinical work (supervision, group therapy, assessments, and articles).
on 14 September 2015
Affordable and effective initiation to positive psychology. A must read for managers.
on 24 August 2015
Very interesting read, good suggestions for challenging thoughts and perceptions.
on 23 June 2016
Very easy read. A great reach for guide. Can dip in and out of it easily.
on 23 January 2013
This is a dip in and out of book. It is psychology at a basic level and would be useful for anyone wanting an introduction to the subject. Very readable and useful for a quick reference.
on 30 January 2015
This book is clear and interesting. It is a gentle introduction to key concepts. It would be an improvement to put the references within the text of the book to encourage readers to take their interest further. I notice that even on-line, the reference list is on the thin end. The critical review that referred to the book as 'rubbish,' as it includes a contested concept, is missing the point of positive psychology. This is I believe that we have, as a discipline, had an unbalanced view of the world and we need to broaden and build ourselves (little positive psychology joke there) . The fact that one idea from the many has been shown to be ill founded is no reason to reject the whole approach. Hypothesising, testing, and hypothesising again is the stuff of science.