Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2014
I didn't really know what to expect of this book but I knew it would be like nothing else I'd read in the religious categories before it. And I was right! Nadia is so refreshingly honest about a lot of things but what is so great is her self disclosure that is so disarming. She doesn't do pretense. She doesn't do cover up or dishonesty but she does do heart-warming truth in a way that makes you smile and with a huge amount of warmth and humanity. She's seen it, tasted it, done it but she is full of compassion for others who are still struggling with their own demons. Her wry, quirky humour doesn't allow it to become sentimental or show her as attaining sudden sanctity. She's just wide open to goodness, to God as well as her own frailty and strengths. What a book. I'd recommend it to everyone. It makes religion real appealing in a way that is within the focus of real life and real people. Well done Nadia. Keep right on doing what you're doing!
on 6 October 2015
Beautifully written and not nearly as 'preachy' as you might imagine it to be. I think it safe to say that Nadia Bolz-Weber's isn't the kind of pastor that most of us come across every day, her church, House Of All Sinners And Saints, hardly what you'd call mainstream. And that is what makes it such a fascinating and refreshing read (yes, even for someone not of the faith.)

A woman who comes across as wonderfully compassionate and insightful, a woman who is well aware of her own frailties and short comings. Take away her obviously deep faith and what you are left with is a very human story that focuses on real life.

Funny, quirky, raw, sad (I defy anyone not to cry as they read of the author sitting with two children whose mother has just died), poignant, heartfelt - all this and so so much more. I guess that ultimately what I enjoyed most about the book was its potential to challenge what may well be the readers perceptions of what a Christian should (or indeed should not) be.

Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper.
on 26 August 2015
I absolutely love this book. I have nearly finished it and just don't want it to end. I know that this is a book I will read again and again and I can not wait to read Nadia's next book.

This book has had me laughing, crying and in complete appreciation of God's love.

I really really can not recommend this book highly enough.
on 23 October 2015
Fascinatingly ,honest description of living a Christian life. There are, no doubt ,many who walk a straight path . There are also many who struggle to stay on it. It was very encouraging that from a difficult , and somewhat fractured , juvenile life Nadia was chosen by God to be a crutch and encourager to so many ! I found it very emotional that at times that people with such difficult problems are so dismissed by those that seem so selfcentered ! Thank God for those that are willing to take up the calling that has been offered them. I am very aware that at times I have been taking everything for grated. No point in talking to God if you don't listen for an answer! Love the way Nadia founds her surmons on real life instances. Some readers may wince at her language at times but she is not trying to be PC, she is being very honest about her character. More than be said about some of the TV preachers who seem to be more interested in the adoration of their congregations .Surely the Praise should go to God!! Thank You Nadia for being so honest!!
on 18 May 2016
The author talks openly about her strictly religious childhood, her descent into alcoholism in her teens, and her surprising redemption, in every sense of the word, surrounded by others who were even more wounded and confused than she was...

The writing is good, the stories unexpected, often moving. The author is honest about her failings and doubts, and manages to present Jesus in a way that is very appealing. I’m not surprised that so many people find her style and teaching so attractive.

Each chapter tells a different story. It’s peppered with down-to-earth language and some obscenities, which I could have done without; yet I understand her need to be transparent, and to write the kinds of words she uses. Perhaps, for the ‘irregular’ parts of her congregation, strong language is a bridge to communication.

I would recommend it for Christians, for those who long for acceptance and have not yet found it, and perhaps most of all for those who are inclined to write the church off as feeble and irrelevant.

Well worth reading. Just be warned that there is seriously strong language used throughout.
on 6 January 2016
An emotional roller coaster of a book, with some genuinely heart-warming tales of the lives of everyday Sinner Saints. Well worth the effort reading – although in truth the writing style is easy and engaging. Pastor Nadia tackles head on some of the difficult issues for Christians – such as why does a loving God permit bad things to happen to his people?
on 13 March 2014
I have tattoos and I sometimes swear, I also used to be into alternative spiritualities. Can you imagine how I felt when I found Nadia? At last someone who may talk to me without trying to shove a deliverance ministry on me! So refreshing, so glad, so warmly welcoming and SANE to find someone, out there in Christendom that is on my awesome radar! Not many make it! A great read, funny, very honest, very reflective and so,so,so down to earth. Its like spending an evening with a grounded spiritual director. Fuels a honest, humorous relationship with God that is inciting and sometimes messy...because we are all broken...and thats exactly why we need Christ. Nadia, Many, many blessings to you from all of us who just want to walk away from faith sometimes. You have shown that there are genuine pastors around, and the 'freaks' within Christendom are just as welcome in the Kingdom as anyone else!
on 7 June 2014
This is a really excellent book - raw, quirky, honest and compelling. Nadia Bolz-Weber tells it as it is - her faith shines through but she doesn't try to dress it up or pretend that being a Christian is all sweetness and light, but it honest about the challenges and challenges us and our preconceptions in the process. Read it!
on 2 September 2014
I wholeheartedly recommend this book. Within the first three chapters I had laughed, cried and cheered out loud. If nothing else it got me a seat to myself on the train.
Nadia Bolz-Weber tells it how it is with a refreshing honesty and a theology of brokenness and grit. She reintroduces her readers to the Jesus with the dirt of the tomb under his fingernails. This is the Jesus who knows his it feels to be human and walks alongside us in our pain and our joy. This book will revitalise your faith and your optimism for the church.
on 29 October 2014
This is a simply amazing book, full of truth telling and great wisdom as Nadia shares her own faith journey and life stories which shone like a beacon into my own life and drew me like a magnet to the God of Grace she proclaims. Cranky and beautiful it undoubtedly is but utterly inspirational too.