Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 January 2014
I enjoy tales of those who follow the spiritual path. Generally these either follow the format of a travel book, where a lot of attention is given to planning the trip, getting there, motivation, finding the teacher etc... Or they tend to follow the format of a training diary with detailed descriptions of training etc.

This book didn't quite tick either box for me. It's well written but the author seems focused a lot on "what it is to be a woman" and the effect of renunciation on her own love life.

I would have preferred a more detailed description of what she was learning (as in "opening the dragon gate" by Kaiguo Chen) or a more detailed, autobiographical account of her fascinating journey. (as in "fourth uncle in the mountain" by Quang van Nguyen)

Nevertheless it's a good read and there are too few books that document genuine teachers and traditions in this day and age.
on 17 March 2013
A stunning book! I really enjoyed the openness and frankness of what Lindsey Wei has experienced in her life. A practitioner myself I appreciated so many parallels that it was uncanny. The writing made me feel supported and inspired in my own journey and I would seriously recommend this book to any seekers of truth, regardless of faith or ways of thinking. She is just one person, finding herself, finding a way, the way, and through sharing it helping others to do the same. Thank you Lindsey.
on 8 September 2014
I have never written a review on Amazon before and I have bought hundreds of books. This is an incredibly valuable and honest book about self-cultivation in China. It is particularly valuable to me because it has been written honestly by an intelligent woman and because it is about cultivation in contemporary times. It feels like nothing has been left out or altered in the cause of a phony sanctity and the book is all the more valuable as a result. Anybody interested in Daoism or qigong should read this book. Anybody interested in what life on Wudang Mountain would be like - I know I was! - should also read this book. It has helped me immensely. Thank you Lindsey!
on 10 September 2013
A lovely book. So fascinating to hear the inside story of a Daoist cultivator from a western background with all the difficulties to overcome.
Written with great empathy and humility.
Thank you.
on 17 July 2016
A breathtaking piece of personal and literary work. A month later, I am still reflecting on Lindsey's stories and her relentless quest to find out what was calling her. Beautiful, inspirational, real and well worth reading.
on 17 October 2013
A rare find . not often you can read the story of women seekers in a martial and Daoist world.
on 11 January 2014
A deep bow to you Lindsey,thank you for the glimpse of your unfolding . Long my it continue and you continue to share the path and teachings. _/|\_.