Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 December 2015
I like this book. I like the shop too. There isn't that many recipes in it and none of it is that complicated, but there is a lot of love in it and great pics. And also no pics of shots of thin women walking with dogs in the rain, looking great in between baking and a glamorous lifestyle in Hoxton or the environs. And telling you about his they ate their way to happiness while eating kale chips... I made the tahini recipe and used it for humus and baba-Ganesh and it was delicious. I will use it for a simple meal with friends in the darkest winter to bring a smile...
on 24 April 2016
after going to the restaurant on numerous occasions i decided to buy the book and try my favourite recipes at home. did not disappoint. firstly made the smoked aubergine dip, with mint and pomegranate seeds and it was amazing, so much so my colleagues were very envious with the left overs. only slightly negative was the humous recipe as it was nowhere near the taste of the restaurant version, however will persevere. well worth the money for this book and i can't wait to explore the recipes more. many recipes both meat and vegetarian.
on 23 November 2014
Nicely produced book.
on 23 March 2016
This is a great cookbook, much better than the express one. They had a lot of creative recipes but as I said on my review of the express version of this book is that this is not authentic Lebanese and for that I would recommend looking elsewhere. There are some authentic recipes but what makes this great is that there are other versions of the authentic recipes in here. I took away a star as i was looking forward to a couple of recipes that I had eaten at their restaurant and they weren't in the books which was disappointing. I included 1 of the contents pages to show what kind of recipes you will be getting. You do get much more in this book than the express book.
review image
on 9 March 2015
Excellent book having eaten in the restaurant at Gatwick Airport, I wanted to try some of the recipes myself - very happy with my purchase
on 29 December 2014
Le Comptoir is one of our favourite restaurants in London and I really looked forward to getting this book. When I discovered that it was co-authored by Dan Lepard, I was delighted - Dan has written one of the best books of baking ("Short and Sweet") that I've ever read.

Unfortunately, the recipes in this book don't seem to produce the same results as the dishes in the restaurant. All the dishes from the restaurant are in here, it's just that they don't seem to make as good a result. I've tried a few now and none of them were particularly good. The baba ganoush is good enough, the hummus okay, the halloumi flatbreads not good at all. One recipe that I did really like was the homemade lemonade.

Recipes are clearly laid out, well written and easy to follow. Photography is nice and the layout of the book is good.

It's not a bad book by any means, and is worth trying if you are interested in Lebanese and Levantine cuisine, but at the same time there are better books out there.
on 28 March 2015
Love the book, love the restaurant. Great service from the seller.
on 20 December 2013
Some brilliant and easy recipes in this lovely book! Although they are not all vegetarian there are so many vegetarian recipes included that it was well worth us purchasing it. Eastern dishes that are different!
on 13 January 2015
Some good recipes in here that aren't just your typical hummus/baba ghanoush/chicken tagine. Good selection of drinks recipes as well. Unfortunately, two things about this book which really let it down; tons of pictures (far outweigh number of recipes!) and some pictures show of delicious looking food but no recipe is included (like the pumpkin cheesecake!).

Dessert section is a real let down. I'm an Arab, I've grown up on Arab desserts, I've eaten at Comptoir and seen their selection of Arabic desserts so why no baklava, muhallabiya, konafa, etc.? Two of the dessert recipes are jams and then frozen yoghurt, marzipan stuffed dates and a couple more forgettable things.
on 22 January 2014
The Comptoir Lebanaise restaurant is quite amazing and this cooking book is a reflection of how good the lebanaise food is and how easy to prepare at home... and share with friends!!!