on 4 January 2013
I had this as a Christmas gift as i am a huge fan of ISIHAC ,but was disappointed with the content.I was hoping for a history of the program .But its low on text and high on padding , lots of pictures of the cast in various poses and pages of one liners.
I am obviously in a minority judging by other reviews.
But hey its just my opinion
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2014
I am a big long term fan of ISIHAC and thought this a great mixture of golden oldies and material I hadn't seen or heard before. There isn't much more to say. It's true I missed the Uxbridge English Dictionary definition of Hogmanay as someone who owned too large a collection of impressionist painters, discovered by Harry Hill, but this was more than made up for by other stuff. For example, reading what Samantha gets up to, as opposed to hearing it, makes you wonder what the audience laughs at. Everyone knows the ninth member of a Cambridge rowing eight has to be very small, so why shouldn't she bend down to kiss him? As Humph once said, "filthy beasts!". I still like the prize of the cut-grass decanter, and the self-addressed antelope. There's quite a lot of it too - no short-changing here in my opinion - and there are examples of pretty-well everything they've done. Great clue-mass and clue-diversity, to plagiarise from biology.
on 17 March 2016
You need to be a real fan. I can use it as a dip-in book. One for the lavatory.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 November 2015
A collection of "rounds" from the popular Radio 4 "antidote to panel games", such as Late Arrivals, Film Club/Songbook, and Uxbridge English Dictionary (i.e. pun-based silliness), interspersed with humorous pieces such as extended versions of the local history sections typically used to open the show when it's recorded in regional theatres.

There are also a few pieces that are clearly NOT culled from the actual broadcast shows, but written specially; notably essays on the lives of famous historical players of Mornington Crescent.

In amongst all this are large, colour photographs of the cast, taken during recordings and backstage beforehand.

At the end is a genuine account of the origins and history of the show itself.

Generally very funny and inventive, though one or two small areas veer too far towards the puerile, a couple more go on a little too long, and there are some minor typos.
on 13 May 2016
I ... We ... my wife and I , religiously listened to this programme , from its inception.

Stomach - aching humour ..always . Especially Humph . Dear , dear man .

The book / collection though , tends to be a bit of a let down.
Even though you can imagine the voices of those concerned .
It's not the same .
A splendid souvenir , but nothing like the real thing .
on 20 April 2015
Love the show and enjoy the humour. The book is everything I expected, it is almost like listening to the show, a concentration of the best bits only spoiled by the sound of the occasional input from Jo Brand and her brand of toilet humour. I chuckled out loud and then had to repeat the funny to my wife. I bought a second hand edition knowing that I would read it in a couple of hours which saved a few quid.
on 2 January 2013
I used to listen to "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" on Radio 4 on my way home from work and this book contains the scripts from those shows. If you have a quirky sense of humour then you will love this book. If you're not sure if this type of humour is for you, take at look at the official website - [...]. The people that make up the two teams include regulars Barry Cryer, Graeme Garden, Tim Brook-Taylor and Bill Bailey, Rob Brydon, Jack Dee and Tony Hawks to name but a few have appeared on the program. Very, very funny.
on 11 February 2018
What a fun and exciting book. Our friend spends all his time chuckling when he is reading this book, which we gave him as a gift.
on 26 April 2016
Great fun from start to finish. Still laughing at it. Bought the hard back copy which is more expensive, but I suspect that it's going to get plenty of use, so it will be worth it. Shows how this class of comedy stands the test of time.
on 9 November 2017
If you are a fan of ISIHAC this is a must for you.
Delve in and pick out and enjoy what is on offer.