Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 13 July 2014
This is a slim paperback book that is packed with relevant information. It is easy to read and saves hours of trial and error. If you are thinking of rushing out and buying camera gear to do macro imaging then read this first before you spend your money - it will probably save you pounds on unsuitable equipment.
on 26 December 2014
Purchased as a Kindle download but with little 'preview' available. The last notable point I'll mention first - the index starts at 88%. So 12% of the book is lost to start with. The first 54% seemed to cover more the technicalities in theory before getting to 'ideas and examples' which is more of the content type I was looking for. If I had picked up the paper copy in a store I would have soon put this back on the shelf. I feel that the author spent too much time introducing photography basics. I would suggest that Macro photography is a niche that will be explored by people who already have a camera, have some basic knowledge and are looking to expand and explore the hobby. In that respect, a lot of the book could have been given over to expand the ideas and techniques section. Talking of which, I found this area equally disappointing, not least because that was why I had bought the book. Better and more elaborate description, for instance more practical help on macro lighting set-up, would have been more beneficial than earlier descriptions about camera types, sensor sizes and pixel counts. Indeed, I feel that help would have been better served by concentrating on macro imagery than the need to ensure pixel perfectness. Moving on to the latter part of the book, there is a section on software, primarily talking about Photoshop. Whilst this may be seen as the de-facto standard, it's prohibitive cost would lead an average photographer to perhaps use a cheaper alternative I.e. Lightroom - so additional technique applicable to this would have helped. The final section on printing and presentation holds merit,but again, the section is somewhat brief and leaves the reader with some bullet points with which to go out and explore further and more elaborate texts. At the end, I feel that the book is worthy of 1.5 stars - there are better books to be had on the subject.
on 18 October 2013
Yes one of the best and I have a number of books covering this subject, the info and photographs are superb. John Humphrey is in my view one of the best. I will look forward to future books on this subject from him.
on 3 May 2015
I echo the review "A bit disappointing..., 26 Dec. 2014"

Yes it is disappointing, there were a good number of 5 star reviews so i ordered it without checking the lesser reviews (which are often more useful and informative)
This book describes some macro equipment.
Contains some excellent images.
No real info or examples of how they were produced.
This is a basic introduction to digital photography with a leaning towards close-up and macro.
I returned it and Amazon quickly refunded my payment.
on 18 September 2013
This book tells me all the information I need for close up pictures.I would recomend it to anyone considering maro photography.
on 11 January 2014
A new area of photography for me. This is certainly the best book I have come across. Clear , precise and very readable
on 27 February 2014
An easy to read book. It covers all the elements required to take when planning your close-up and macro photographs.
on 20 May 2014
This is an excellent book, and I would say one the best in its class. John Humphrey's photography is breath-taking and enviable in the most encouraging way (see his website for more fabulous pictures). I am very keen on macro and flower work and have bought a number of books only three or four have proved to be informative, instructional in a useful way, and definitely inspiring. If you bought only one book on macro work (including insects and still life - not just flowers) get this one! Not only is it a beautiful book with its quality illustrations, but it is really useful and useable, and well written. Here is a teaching photographer as well as an artist.
on 21 January 2015
A beautiful book full of interesting ideas and tips to get the most out of your Close-up pics. It is easy to read and understand whilst not being patronising or full of technical jargon. One of my favourite books.

The book came in good time well packaged and as new. Will use this book seller again.
on 29 July 2014
What a superb, informative and beautiful book packed full of fantastic tips and techniques. I have been inspired by the author's creativity and expertise which he presents in a totally accessible way. On the advice of a previous review I visited John's website (www.johnhumphrey.co.uk) and wow, his own work is stunning and I have now purchased some of his prints for my home. With this book, however, I now feel that creating such beautiful art of my own can be a reality - a great buy.