on 13 August 2008
I run a small building company and therefore have to do a variety of roofing jobs - from small repairs to building extension roofs. I am used to buying building books that purport to be professional guides but turn out to be DIY manuals, American guides inapplicable to the UK, reprints of books that are 50 years out of date or just academic architects guides that don't have practical information on techniques.
This book is spot on.
It gives a good overview of current roofing materials and methods, and then it details lots of commonly faced roofing tasks. The explanations are clear and detailed but if you don't immediately understand there are loads of diagrams and photographs.
While not a complete manual on roofing it is probably comprehensive for anybody who is a general builder, and it is clear enough to be used by a reasonably competent DIYer.
Any criticism? Although the book is 158 pages long I would happily pay for another 300 pages of cleaver solutions to unusual roofing problems.
I purchased this book primarily to try and understand how slates are attached to a building. However, behind this wish there is a practical application in mind. Our slate roof (pent) is fairly young at about 30 years old. However, we sustained damage in a kitchen fire about 40 years ago and the slates on the side of the house adjacent to the kitchen had to be replaced. A couple of these slates have detached themselves and must be refitted. I have no experience of working with slates but I am aware there are different attachment techniques depending upon where the slates are fitted. My reason for buying this book is to obtain a better understanding of slates and their attachment method. The task of replacing the fallen slates will fall to me, therefore I need to understand what I am doing and how to do it before actually undertaking the task. Slate replacement is a DIY prospect if the underlying principles are understood. The book incorporates plenty of photographs with illustrations, which are absolutely essential. This is a hardcover book costing around £15, which represents good value for money.
on 11 September 2017
Excellent book!
I'm a DIYer who needed to re-tile a shed. Thinking it was just a case of replacing a few tiles, I encountered lots of problems.
If I'd had this book to begin with, I would have saved me so much time and stopped me makig some silly mistakes.
Take the time to read it carefully and its bound to be helpful, whether you're a DIYer like me, or someone with more experience.
I even enjoy looking at roofs on buildings now as I have a better understanding of how all those beautifully laid tiles got there...
on 5 May 2017
It is a book the so called professionals of the industry should read if dealing with the traditional uk roofing business.
on 2 April 2017
great book....great price and fitted the bill ..thank you . will buy books from you again
on 18 April 2017
not a bad book covers most stuff.
on 1 August 2008
In the UK roofing industry there is precious little good quality written information freely available on the practicalities of pitched roofing. This excellent book goes a long way to address this. It is written in a clear, practical way by the very practical author. I like the modern, chatty style and the photo's and illustrations are excellent. At Sandtoft we operate a very busy technical department and I know that we will be referring to this book often - to both answer customer queries and when writing our own technical guides etc. Anyone involved in the installation of tile or slate pitched roofs should have a copy.
John Mercer: Technical Manager: Sandtoft Roof Tiles.
on 10 February 2009
I needed a book on roofing for a new build garage that I am attempting to complete myself, This book explained every aspect of the job and answered numerous other questions I had about the subject. written in plain english and very well illustrated, all in all an excellent book to have, I would highly recommend this book to anybody who requires information on the subject.
on 12 July 2017