on 4 September 2013
I'm astounded that THE definitive book on negotiation has so few reviews.

This is my second copy. I let someone borrow my first copy, and it never returned. But that's OK. The world would be a better place if everyone learned how to negotiate like this.

If you're going to a turkish bazaar, this is not going to help guarantee you get the right price for the rug you really want. But if you live in the real world, and especially if you're in business, this will help you understand how to negotiate successfully. And it makes you think differently about how you approach different situations.

Roger Fisher died recently, and I liked the obituary in the Economist. It described how there was a bitter confrontational argument in central america, with one of the parties being Ecuador I believe. Roger Fisher was asked to help in the dispute. Things improved dramatically when he asked the two presidents, who were arguing vehemently and bitterly about the border, to sit down with a map and look at the border. All the posturing disappeared as the parties understood each others concerns. As the obituary concluded, it helped that the Ecuador president had been a university student of Professor Fisher. It shows this is not academic mumbo jumbo. It has real life application.
18 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 14 April 2018
Really enjoyed this book, probably the best I’ve read on negotiation to date. I found the well thought through logical sequence of the book easy to read and persuasive. It took me from the standard negotiating stance and explained serious errors behind this approach. There was clear guidance on how to move from a positional arbitrary approach to one directed by interests and defined criteria. I’m looking forward to trying out this new framework over the next few months.
on 27 October 2013
I found this book very insightful and easy to understand. Rather than focus on the “they do this you do that” approach it offers a way of thinking, a mind-set if you like about negotiation. I found the first few chapters tough going but after that its was, for me anyway, packed full of helpful ideas and suggestions. After reading this book I find myself not armed with a lot of tips on what to do (although they are a few good tips in here) but rather a whole new framework for thinking and acting. I agree totally with the authors conclusions that you will probably know a lot of this stuff already, but this book has added to what I know and organized what I already knew. I negotiate construction contracts for a living and come from a trade background, as supposed to university, and found this book easy to understand.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 October 2014
We all negotiate, whether it is with our employers, employees, partners, friends or even loved ones. We negotiate all the time.
This is why I think everyone should read this book, as it seeks to change negotiations from something that looks like a chess game between two opposing sides to a "lets-work-together" dialogue. Some of the issues raised in the book were very familiar to me and made perfect sense, others I think are a little bit easier said then done, but overall a good book on how to get the best out of any negotiating process.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2010
Look this book was first printed in 1981 so it represents the ideas and insights of the authors at that time. And the authors did really put a standard out there in 1981. As long as you keep that in mind, you will really appreciate this work as it explains the very basic concepts of negotiations. Lot of other negotiation books published are based on this classic in one way or another. It is the first book to read on negotiation so to speak.

The Harvard Law School - Program on Negotiation (PON) offers by the way more in-depth negotiation training and workshops, some of them given by the same authors.

Contents:

I The problem
1 Don't bargain over positions

II The method
2 Separate the people from the problem
3 Focus on interests, not positions.
4 Invent options for mutual gain.
5 Insist on using objective criteria.

III Yes, but...
6 What if they are more powerful? (Develop your BATNA - Best alternative to a negotiated agreement).
7 What if they won't play? (Use negotiations jujitsu).
8 What if they use dirty tricks? (Taming the hard bargainer)

IV In conclusions

V Ten questions people ask about "Getting to yes"
on 21 August 2017
Textbook reading for anyone wishing to understand the dynamics of negotiating or for those who wish to hone their skills in this area. It's a great easy to read & enjoyable book.
on 13 January 2018
As a Leadership Trainer and Coach, I've been recommending this book to clients for years. The core message - to separate the people from the problem - is arguably the one that has delivered the most beneficial results over time and been the simplest to implement.
on 14 February 2018
It is a book that summarises much on negotiation but very easy to read. I found it a very scientific book, with no sentence being written without strong evidence behind it.
on 12 June 2018
All the things in the book are common sense, you knew them all or close enough. However, this book is a gem and I will keep it to read it from time to time and also apply the learning in my every day life
on 17 June 2018
A classic for anyone going into a negotiation - which is all of us at some time or other, whether in business or personal matters. I had great success (including financial results) from using what I learned from this book in a situation which everyone else had said could never be won.