on 28 March 2001
This book fills an important niche: most statistics books do not include all the terminology used in SPSS in the index, so it is often impossible to make informed choices about which of the many options to use without consulting a statistician. SPSS manuals, on the other hand, explain what features are available, but not the theory behind them.
This book explains complex statistical techniques in a way that anyone of modest intelligence can understand, whilst also being an excellent manual for SPSS. It also concentrates on the more complex statistical techniques, such as MANOVA and logistic regression, which many books still seem to regard as exotic irrelevances, but which are becoming the first-line tools of most researchers in the social and biomedical sciences.
this book is a MUST for anyone wishing to 'fast-track' their knowledge of statistics. It teaches via concepts and application rather than bewildering formulae. After reading one page I guarantee you will have an 'aha' moment (as in "Aha, I've always wondered what that meant!"). Great for beginners or advanced strugglers (like me!).
on 30 September 2001
I had much difficulty with the statistics on my Psychology degree course, and even more difficulty when I was introduced to the SPSS program! That was until I bought this book, which not only made me understand SPSS but also the statistics that I had struggled with. Andy field was a lecturer at my university until quite recently and his refreshing style maintained our interest and made us laugh. I feel that this also comes across in his book. Buy this if you want to understand statistics and SPSS - it is excellent in both respects!
on 26 February 2001
A disagree entirely with the above reviewer. I have a BSc. in Psychology and am now completing my PhD in Psychology so I would hope that I know a fair amount of statistics relating to my subject. Even with this knowledge I find this book an invaluable source of reference covering all the topics I need in great detail. However, this is not the best thing about this book, it really is quite fun to read and everything is explained exceptionally well. I recommend it to all the undergraduates I supervise and so now I am recommending it to you. In summary it is excellently written, the statisitcs are well explained and extremely thorough, and the potential maze of SPSS statistics becomes a lot clearer.
on 22 May 2017
Very good...arrived on time.
on 1 April 2017
Totally fine! Thanks
on 4 May 2017
loved it! many examples!
on 18 March 2017
Book was in good condition but smells quite strongly of cigarettes! Very off putting.
on 4 May 2003
Let's face it; SPSS is a scary program unless you're a mathematician. I've done research that I need to make sense of, and have been given SPSS without any instruction or help. OK, you can find your way around SPSS if you are semi computer literate, but you will never use 10% of SPSS's capacity in a month of Sundays. So, what capabilitieis do you use? Most of the SPSS books that I've read assume a more than basic understanding of statistics, or simply concentrate on the number-crunching capability of SPSS. Field does neither and the title is actually accurate. He does try and get you to understand statistics by using SPSS. OK, he's not infallable, some of the examples that he uses are very simple and can be difficult to relate to complicated research. But, by and large, it is a very good book to use if you are a research student who just wants to analyse your survey, or whatever and have an understanding of what SPSS can do and why it does it. Contrast with the SPSS Survival Manual, which is superficial and raises more questions than it answers. There are a lot of SPSS books out there. Field's book is enough for most students.
on 30 November 2011