Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Moana - Listen with Prime Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Arabel's Raven
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 December 2017
It's the most hilarious children's book I have ever come across. I was reading it to my children and towards the end I myself was in stitches.
on 24 October 2017
Such a gentle quirky story to read to children.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 November 2013
"Arabel's Raven" is the first in a series about Arabel, who's around four and lives in 1970s London, and Mortimer, a big black sulky raven that eats stairs, gives dark looks, and says "Nevermore" into the telephone.

In this story, Arabel's father nearly runs Mortimer down on the road, takes him home to recover, and he is then adopted by Arabel as a pet. While Mortimer eats all the food in the fridge and makes bite-marks in all the records at the record shop, the police are trying to catch two local bank robbers. The robbers kidnap Mortimer on one of their heists, and it all becomes a mad adventure to find him and solve the mystery...... someone eating the escalators at the local train station is a clue to his whereabouts, though.

I read a number of these stories when I was a child, and I have just read this first book out loud to my 6-year-old daughter at bedtime, in instalments. She loves the Mortimer character. For children reading it themselves, it would be 7+ years.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 7 May 2008
I have extremely fond memories of listening to Bernard Cribbins reading Arabel's Raven on Jackanory when I was a child. I used to love these books and it's fantastic to find them back in print. This is a book with three of the stories in it, Arabel's Raven, The Bread Bin, and The Escaped Black Mamba and Other things.

I have just finished reading these to my own children and they absolutely love them. We were all laughing so much at the story of the Escaped Black Mamba that we could hardly finish it. Mortimer is so naughty that he delights the heart of my rather evil four year old, and Mrs Jones' ridiculous language makes my nine year old fall on the floor with laughing. I hope they reprint all the stories very soon.
55 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 June 2013
Arabel's Raven is one of our favourite books that Quentin Blake has illustrated. It is very funny and we laughed a lot! This astonishing book will make your rib bones vibrate with laughter!!In year 3 we think it's a real eye boggler and a brain teaser. It is a brilliant page turner. Everybody would like it and we would recommended it for ages 5 and up. We all give it 5 stars!
on 6 November 2013
Our son just loved this and other books in the series when he was little so I keep buying it for the children if friends and family who also love it. Like our son, they want it read to them over and over again
on 13 March 2009
What a wonderful blast from the past. I was instantly transported back to the 70's; home from school, Crispy Pancakes for dinner and sitting reading Arabel and Mortimer books...happy days!

I bought this to read to my eight year old daughter, who although is a fantastic reader herself, adores listening to bedtime stories. This story kept her attention from the first page, made her giggle and laugh and constantly beg for me to carry on reading.

Both boys and girls alike would love to hear about Mortimer the Raven, and all the silly stuff he gets up to.

So if you are fed up with Fairies, Monsters and High School Musical then give Mortimer a go....you'll not regret it!
11 Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 August 2008
I have used this book in school (as a NQT) and the children always love the subject. A naughty raven who gets up to all sorts of tricks and the bestthing is that there are loads of books that the children can follow up with.
The artwork is enchanting as usual, again visually attractive this can also draw in the most reluctant of readers.
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 October 2013
I remember reading this as a child, and hearing it read on Jackanory,
I have had so much fun, re reading it, now in my late 40s,brilliant funny writing, and fantastic illustrations,
If you want a fun book, for children, you can't go wrong, with these books,
on 15 May 2015
What a lovely book! I remember reading these as a child and I was thrilled when I found I could purchase these books on Amazon. I am very much enjoying reading them again.

Incredibly enjoyable I believe for all ages! These are very funny books with characters you can grow to love!