Customer reviews

on 18 July 2017
Bought the book as the boy who joined the Army at 16 was from my village.
on 9 October 2017
An unusual book since it makes possible for younger children to understand something of the horror of World War One Excellent illustrations.
on 22 May 2015
Item arrived as described
on 3 October 2017
Izzy:
One Boy's War. A book written by Lynn Huggins-Cooper, published in 2008 is the heart-breaking story of the terrifying experience Sydney Dobson had when he joined the war.
Illustrated by Ian Benfold-Haywood with amazing illustrations and letters from Sydney to his Ma. Its hard to put this book down!
This book has no weak parts at all and is very emotional at times. It is perfect for those learning about WW1 and is a great book in general!
My favourite part of the book was when Sydney wrote to his Ma and when Peter wrote, not knowing where Sydney was.
Go get this book now!
Alfie:
This book is about 16 year old Sydney Dobson going to war to join his Pa but then he finds out he's not with him.
Will he be able to resist the call of war?
You get very attached to the characters in this book - don't expect them to all last as long as you think!
You will not be able to put this book down! It hits you in the heart to bring in the feels.
Its one of the best war books out there!!!
on 26 November 2009
This book brings to life the horrors of being a soldier in WW1. It is told through the eyes of a 16 year-old who lies his way into the army. His devastating description of life in the trenches, his stunned disbelief at the loss of his friends and his fear of going over the top are even more poignant when you realise the story isn't fiction but is based on the diary and letters of Sidney Dobson, a youngster from County Durham. Sidney died in a muddy field in Belgium. His letters to his Mum will touch the hearts of all who read it.
Although presented in simple form, it held the attention of the 11-16 year olds I read it to during our Remembrance Assemblies.
on 24 August 2009
This is a fabulous story told from the point of view of a boy who goes to fight in the first world war.I read it to my class of year 5's as part of our World war 1 and 2 topic.A very emotive story which held their imagination and enabled them to imagine what it would have been like. It is an emotional story and I had a lump in my throat at the end...well worth the money.
on 3 October 2013
I bought this to use as part of a topic being studied by my P7 class. It is a beautiful, poignant refection of the "brave' young men who took the King's shilling and the impact it had on families. It left many of my pupils open mouthed. I'm so glad I bought it as it stimulated super discussion and that would have been difficult to achieve without a resource at this level. Beautifully written, stunningly illustrated, heartbreaking.
on 2 June 2014
The children that I work with had been learning about World War 1. This was a very moving story which they thoroughly enjoyed listening to.
on 14 February 2016
My son brought home some school library books about the modern navy and army that seemed to glamorize soldiers and warfare. I went to my local library and picked this book to read for him next. We both sat down and read it together. War is horrible and I think that young boys need to be shown this. This book does a great job. The illustrations are perfect in showing Sydney as a boy in uniform and how he suffers during the war. It is not horrific but it should be read with a parent.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2015
Bought for Y9 children with learning difficulties to enrich learning in lessons. A beautiful book with mainly accessible language . Will have to explain colloquialisms and some historical words but other than that they should be able to read the text independently. Beautiful illustrations that will also add meaning for them. Looking forward to using next week.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse