on 29 October 2010
I purchased Melinda Messenger's Family Cookbook (even though I live on my own) because of a recipe I saw in a magazine whilst at the hairdressers, I started to write the recipe down, then my brain got into gear and I just took the book title and searched on amazon. Brilliant idea.
I have only prepeared two of the dishes from this book but was more than pleasantly surprised with the results. The Campfire Chilli had all the vegetables in which I dont normally like when cooked on their own and I was also apprehensive about adding pesto. The cheese and sour cream topping made It a fantastic tasting chilli. I also tried the Cod roasted in lemon and thyme, again the combination of tastes made a very enjoyable meal.
All in all a very worth while trip to the hairdressers.
on 25 October 2011
Got this book in a discount shop for unbelievable price and cant believe what a great book it is. It has a really lovely mix of recipes which are easy to make with easy to find ingredients. It really is a must have book for everyday family cooking.
on 5 December 2011
Never associating Melinda Messenger with cooking but always felt she is far more intelligent than her image sometimes gives credit for and has a very nice down to earth attitude, I was curious to purchase this book. I was not disappointed at all, in fact it's one of the most straight forward, sensible and non-pretentious cookery books I have found. Good old family cooking, heart warming meals using achievable, sensible and straight forward ingredients, it doesn't try to be clever, it shows it comes from a real Mum who knows how to cook for a family.
on 22 January 2015
I could not believe I actually made the meals myself, as they have all been like know other.She is one hell of a fantastic cook,all the family love her meals,and we have fussy eaters ,now all the plates are empty.Please write more books!!
on 21 August 2015
brilliant book and good recipes very pleased with the condition it looks brand new and great value
on 16 February 2015
A really lovely book- full of tempting recipes that the whole family can enjoy.
on 21 September 2014
Very happy with this book. Recipes lovely . Photos homely. Would recommend.
on 19 April 2015
I purchased this from a cute little farmshop in their 'bargain bin'. Well worth the fiver!! I bought it mainly for my husband as the recipes are simple and quick. I thought that for an accomplished cook, I'd rarely need to look in it.

How wrong I was!

This book has everything in it that you think 'oh gosh, how much milk do I need for that again?' plus a few hidden gems that you might not usuall try, due to time constraints. I have many, many cookbooks and this is a firm favourite in our house!
on 29 January 2012
I have way too many cookbooks and bought this really because the sale price was so good. I was expecting to look through the pictures and join the others on my shelf soon after. However, I am really impressed. The pictures are lovely and the recipes are really down to earth and easy to make with everyday ingredients. So far I have tried pineapple fruitcake, gingerbread and lemon drizzle cake (delicious!) and all have been scoffed by my usually very critical girls!! Great book at a great price!!!
on 27 September 2011
I had to write a review for this cook book!, am an amazon cookbook veteran (much to my husbands annoyance) and I think in terms of family cookbooks this rates as one of the best. Within three days of receiving the book, I had cooked three recipes. Fun, family orientated and accessible recipes. I have to say "well done Melinda" and thanks for creating such a fab cookbook.