Customer reviews

on 21 August 2014
very nice good info
on 9 April 2017
Great book. Arrived in time and as described.
on 16 July 2012
For years, I have been looking for a field guide that covered a lot of species but had not-that-complicated text and good illustrations. As the time went on by, I finally understood that I couldn't find that kind of a guide in Turkey. So years passed and I had to go with Collins (which at the time was too complicated for me, but now my fav, guide) and Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide by Rob Hume (it was a good book but was a bit basic for my level).

Finally in the May of 2008 me and my family did a touristic trip to England, and I went to a bookstore in Oxford knowing the odds of finding a guide like that were high as England was the birding country of Europe. So I went to the section that was exclusive to ornithology books (never found in Turkey). As I was looking for a small but good-looking guide, my hand slipped over to this one. As I was looking through it's pages, I didn't think that this was the one, but I still bought it.

When we got back to Turkey I had more time to spend time with the stuff I bought and as I looked at this book more carefully I saw that it covered almost all of the breeding and regularly-seen species of Europe, accompanied by very rare vagrants, too. Despite it's text was basic it was good enough for you to ID the species you saw correctly. The illustrations were great, too!

That's when I understood that this was the one. I still use this sometimes, even though I now use mainly Collins, as I know enough English now to clearly understand it.

If you want that kind of guide that I once looked for, "basic but lots of species", this is the one. Hope you enjoy it!
on 31 August 2009
After more than 20 years of birdwatching I have been waiting for a guide like this which covers the whole of Europe, yet which is light and easy to carry. Moreover it contains clear and helpful colour illustrations. My only criticism is that the distribution maps could be a little larger, nevertheless they are clear enough. A welcome addition to the amateur birdwatcher's library, which can easily be taken on any trip to Europe.
on 2 January 2010
This book is good for a novice bird spotter or anyone interested in identifying birds while on holiday. Gives lots of info and pictures. Recommeded
on 12 January 2011
One of the best books we have seen on the subject. Great pictures to enable you to identify species and good all round information.
on 9 September 2009
For a book of this size I found it very comprehensive, with excellently detailed drawings, making it very good value.
on 6 July 2014
great book, very complete and useful for a new bird watcher from Southern Portugal. Good size for taking on field, yet not too small so quite easy do read and examine illustrations.
on 2 July 2014
yes this is a good guide I was a bit disapointed at first as there are no photographs but actually the pictures are vey accurate and it is a very good referance book
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2013
Ideal to carry in a rucksack. Compact yet includes pretty much any bird you are likely to see in the UK. Superb illustrations and helpful notes.