on 6 October 2014
This was a well thought out and researched piece of work. I love the collection of quotes at the head of each chapter.. With me as a convinced atheist its completely in line with my views on life and existence but it does so very effectively.

I really cant see how any one can argue with it.

Except maybe for people like the Head of RE at a school I once taught in who wouldn't read or talk about her belief's. She rejected completely any criticism of the bible or the existence of God etc. How she could teach children without any sort of bias I will never know and that's what we are faced with in UK schools.
There should be no place for religion in schools like there is no place for ignorance.
For me this puts Robert W Griffiths up there alongside Richard Dawkins Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchins
on 6 January 2014
I was attracted to this book because I live in Wales and hold all religion in the highest of contempt. Robert writes from the heart and is obviously someone who can think for himself and is not bothered about offending the religious bigots, who mostly, can't even recite the commandments, let alone display any knowledge of the Bible. Robert goes through both testicles (testaments) and analyses every bit, pointing out the idiotic contents within that are an insult to any thinking person's intelligence. He brings out some new points for me and reminds me about the many other inconsistencies. Well written, well researched, well worth reading. The problem is, however, is that the very people who should read it will not only not do so, but will be frightened too. Some years ago I wrote a dissertation for my MA Philosophy on abortion. A retired Catholic priest that I know would not even read it. I can only assume he thought he would be committing a sin by doing so. How sad!
on 15 January 2014
Robert makes his case cogently using good old or new - fashioned common sense and reasoning which certainly struck a chord with me. As an Englishman, the only flaw apparent to me in his logic was his choice of rugby team to support but I am prepared to admit that it probably does make sense for him.
Joking apart, I found this book to be very enjoyable and his strong arguments both easy to understand & sensible if approached with an open mind. Coincidentally, his all-time favourite film happens to be mine too so that statement was a bonus for me. I hope there's another book forthcoming from this author as his Everyman style of writing makes a pleasant diversion from other must read but much more "brain-hurting" books on the subject.
on 1 May 2014
I have a shelf full of books on rationalism, atheism, humanism, scepticism but none of them can compete with the clarity and down to earth approach that Robert Griffith brings to the task of tackling the nonsense of religious belief. Read this book and if you have a normally functioning brain you will agree that the author's arguments are brilliantly put and unanswerable. Freethinkers will enjoy the popular writing style. Believers will have a golden opportunity to get off their knees and get their lives back.
A full 5 star rating!
on 5 November 2013
This is a book you will not be able to put down as throughout building blocks of evidence and reason are evinced to the reader using every day language both jovial and explanatory. It certainly gives plenty of questions and answers leaving the reader - if of an open mind - without any doubt of the conclusions. I am pleased I read it and would recommend it to anyone seeking truth or reassurance that they are not alone in their free thought. Well done Robert W Griffiths! And thank you.
on 3 May 2016
A comprehensive look at religion which pulls no punches in declaring a dislike of it. Written in an easy, no-nonsense style. A good read for anyone interested in religion from the point of view of an atheist... but I recommend reading it if you're an avid believer too. It may well open your eyes to some concepts you've not considered before.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 July 2016
to heavy for me
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 December 2012
I must say I was sceptical when I picked this up (press ganged by a friend to reading it you could say). I am not religious per se, I go to chapel / church for weddings and funerals and under duress to christening of which there are an increasing number these days as friends jostle to get their kids into schools ranked towards the top of the league tables but I digress.

When I was first introduced to the book I saw it described as an Everyman guide to atheism and figured it would be a badly written pseudo intellectual cliche ridden rant, How wrong I was!!!!!

This is excellently written and thought provoking, I didn't feel like I was being lectured or preached at just an open discussion on many points that I have taken for granted through subconscious indoctrination that as a adult I have never really sat and thought about.

Am I now an atheist? Maybe, maybe not. Am I religious? Not in the least. Will I still attend funerals, christenings and weddings? Of course do I feel that I have benefitted from taking a couple of days out from my usual reading to challenge my religious doctrine? Absolutely would I recommend this book? Absolutely
on 18 March 2014
I had plenty of empathy with the author, having been brought up in exactly the same God-fearing, beautiful hymn-singing Welsh valley tradition, and had made the same journey away from that theocratic stronghold on life, so I looked forward to Mr Griffiths's account of his journey and his arguments. I was not disappointed; Mr Griffiths has an excellent command of language and uses it to great flowing effect, leading us all the way from his early strong believer to the atheistic position. The book is an excellent read for those who like following a thoroughly logical exposition. My only caveat was the feeling that all the ground had been previously covered by most of the authors to whom Mr Griffiths rightly gives credit for his own liberation: Dawkins, Stenger, Hitchens and others, and I felt that there was not enough that was new and original in his approach. That said, if anyone has not read those earlier authors, or wants to reinforce their output, "Slaying the Dragon" is a superlative read.
on 30 November 2013
He admits early on that he isn't as amazingly smart as Harris, Dawkins or Hitchins, but that's the whole point. Dawkins rips religion to shreds with intellectual fire power, Hitchins goes on a gore-fest of all the many ways region is the worst thing ever invented, where as 'Slaying the Dragon' is actually quite mild, 'religion is a bit daft and isn't really true' approach.
This is obviously much milder and lighter than other more famous and more expensive books on the subject, but not as good.