on 27 June 2011
This book is an excellent resource for parents who are putting their children through Welsh language education and do not usually speak Welsh in the home. It is written in plain everyday language. (I think it is akin to Nigella Lawson's way of writing about food - you feel like she is there with you, explaining as you go along, rather than giving you a load of technical jargon) I bought the book for my (English) husband as I actually did Welsh for A level and it amazes me how much Welsh I now use around the home due to the confidence I have got back - and that was just reading the Introduction! There is some very sound advice to help you get over and initial thoughts of "I can't do it". The spiral bind means that you can keep the book open on the kitchen table at the page you are on which is great - because there's no excuse that you can't find where you left off. (I've used that excuse with other books!) I recommend this book and the advice in it - Dal ati! - (Keep at it!)
on 24 December 2011
This book and discs is ideal for someone who knows no Welsh at all. It would be an excellent starting point before going to other classes.
on 2 June 2011
This book is essential reading for all English speaking parents who have taken a leap of faith and enrolled their children in a Welsh medium school. My husband and I are Welsh but have never studied the Welsh language to any degree and we wanted to find a way of improving our basic Welsh in parallel with our young children who are being educated through the medium of Welsh.
This was for several reasons; we wanted to try and understand the language of their school so we could enjoy assemblies, school plays, concerts etc.
We really wanted to improve our Welsh so we could communicate with teaching staff when possible in Welsh, read books and understand homework (although most Welsh medium schools communicate bilingually to parents).
It was also because importantly; to quote Lisa Jones herself "The more we talk to our children the faster they will acquire language"
This book and 3 CD course are a brilliant way of immersing yourself in the everyday language that is used in a family. Because the phrases are so user friendly they stick and so learning is consolidated on a daily basis. The CDs make the whole process even more enjoyable.
We very strongly recommend this course to anyone learning Welsh!
on 19 October 2012
I havent gone all the way just started but seems very good would recommend if you are starting from the beginning
on 12 October 2016
I found this a very approachable introduction to speaking Welsh. I am aiming to speak North Welsh: this is more South, but there are sufficient similarities for me to say that this is the best beginner's welsh course I have encountered and I am currently using 5 of them. The school teacher voice sounds a bit like she is talking to small children and takes a bit of getting used to, but she makes things so easy to understand and remember, it definitely gets top marks. This makes it much easier to progress onto more advanced courses.
on 9 March 2013
Best purchase I have made in years! I have tried learning Welsh through various books and CDs so I can converse with the Welsh speakers in my family back hoe in Wales and nothing comes close to this. Easy to follow with well paced CDs that I can listen to in the car. Broken down into 30+ tracks per CD so it is very easy to replay sections. The format allows for constant repetition of words and phrases and lots of gaps to allow you to say it back to yourself several times. The content is very geared towards parent - child language within the home, but it does mean that you have some meaningful Welsh phrases to use everyday from the very start such as 'Time for Bed!' and 'We are going to school now', rather than the not often required 'My name is xx and I come from xx' that langauge courses seem to be so fond of. This will help you perfect pronouciation as you hear the words from not only two 1st language Welsh speakers (a man and a woman), but also a Welsh 2nd langauge speaker and the book also has hundreds of written exercises that cover the differences between every day spoken and written Welsh also gently bringing in the grammer without frightening anyone! I am currently almost two thirds of the way through and once I have completed the book and CDs, I will then attempt another Welsh CD & course book with renewed confidence.
on 27 January 2014
Bought as a gift for a friend who's son is in a welsh school and she only speaks English, she said the book is very good and helpful!
on 25 November 2015
This is fantastic for people too busy to go to classes. The cds are great and the book is easy to follow.
on 20 November 2014
I have been taking a welsh course for 2 years and I feel I have learnt more by using the CD rather than sitting in a welsh lesson once a week. The CD is so handy to have in the car and my 4 year old even is picking bits up from the CD as well so over all I am very happy with my purchase
on 6 October 2013
We moved from Wiltshire to Lampeter in June and wanted to learn some Welsh as a family. (We home-educate.) After checking out various learn Welsh websites, books and you-tube I got really confused as to whether I was supposed to be learning a North dialect or Southern dialect and how to tell which was which from all the learn Welsh stuff I had.
This book was just what I needed as it was written from a school in Brecon, not too far away from me, so I could be confident that the spoken Welsh I was learning would fit in with where I lived! I'm still on the first cd which so far is great.
Also I really like the fact that it tells you the spoken, more common, shortened versions of phrases as well as spoken formal versions and even how it changes when you see the phrase in written form!
If I didn't have this book my pronounciation would be terrible and I'd still be in a cloud of confusion!
Please write a Welsh for Parents book 2!