TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 November 2015
Classic Karl Pilkington; if you've watched the TV series or listened to any of the podcasts with Ricky Gervais then you'll know what to expect. If you haven't, then Ricky, Steve and the production team are sending Karl around the world on wonderful opportunities to experience local culture and new things, aka tormenting him with things he really doesn't want to do, and putting him in the most awkward, uncomfortable, and unusual situations they can manage to get away with.

Karl is hilarious, a true idiot, and yet a genius as well. His simple logic delights me, whilst inwardly I cringe in horror at his often culturally inappropriate behaviour, and then laugh out loud at his hilarious outlook. He manages to make the most mundane things funny.

This is a companion book to the show I suppose, but I think it gets more in Karl's head, and is accompanied by wonderful photographs, maps, phone conversations and local information. Completely entertaining. Meeting Karl on holiday would be an unforgettable experience that's for sure.
on 22 March 2012
I've never been someone to hop onto any gravy train and this includes the 5.20pm from Let's Make Ricky Gervais a Multimillionaire Town. I find his humour a little too on the edge for me to enjoy, that is until I saw the cartoon that he appears in. The programme may have been called `The Ricky Gervais Show', but the star is idiot savant Karl Pilkington. Karl has since gone onto star in his own Sky TV show `An Idiot Abroad' and this is his travel diary of his experiences. I'm of a similar frame of mind of not wanting to make the Murdoch's any richer either, therefore this book is the first time I have experienced the show and it's so good I may actually go out and watch the DVD.

Gervais and Steve Merchant love to paint Karl Pilkington as someone who is a bit thick. However, this is far from the case; he may be depressing, gloomy and a bit odd, but there is a quick humour and spark that underpins his personality. More than ever this comes through in his travel diaries. Most people would jump at the chance to visit the seven modern wonders of the world, but Karl is nonplussed, being more interested in the toilet situation and food than anything else. Rather than being tiring this is actually one of the most genuine travel books I have ever read. I'm the type of person who has seen the Queen and visited the Grand Canyon and been pretty underwhelmed by both. Pilkington represents an unmentioned clan of people that just want to be left alone to do their own thing and not be forced into `enjoying' themselves.

`An Idiot Abroad' is well written and full of very amusing moments from the antics Karl gets up to, but also from the wry humour. There are some photos in the book that are black and white on the Kindle version, but come out crystal clear. This is one of the funniest and most truthful books I have read in a long time. I may be no more a fan of Gervais, but put me down as a Pilkington man.
on 12 November 2017
Funny down to earth comedy good mixture of chapters and pictures .If you want a good distraction without having to think too much then this is it.
on 5 August 2014
Very funny, level headed and a very entertaining book indeed. Don't waste your money going to see a pile of old stones in Egypt, where you are sure to be surrounded by pretentious twerps, get flies in your mouth and dysentery. Just read Karl's book instead.
on 28 June 2016
This book always put me on in a good mood. I watched An Idiot Abroad on TV but the book his fabulous.
on 18 July 2017
Given as a gift very much enjoyed
on 26 November 2017
Just hilarious, it's Karl Pilkington at his finest!
on 13 August 2012
There are some bargains to be had when you own a Kindle and this was one of them, an easy to read book about Karls experiences on his travels abroad. The book mirrors the tv series , although I think it is a bit more discriptive than comes across on tv.I enjoyed the book as much as I enjoyed the tv series.
on 28 April 2017
my husband loved it
on 1 March 2016
Enjoying this book.

Halfway through so far and been a good amusing read