Customer reviews

on 10 July 2008
Nicholas Hogg relates a clever, fast-paced plot, with simple, elegant and poetic prose. The different and distinct voices of his characters gradually pull together, each with something to add to the overall theme. The author throws in some surprises, using a variety of styles that include a diary, a letter, and email conversations. Though I'm not usually a fan of the diary style, Babbage's historical diary entries are utterly convincing and enthralling. At times during these passages I had to remind myself I was reading fiction. Many images from the book stuck in my mind long after I turned the last page, a mark of really good writing.

I was hooked from page one of this debut novel, and I'm looking forward to the next...
on 17 January 2010
Well, I am flabbergasted at the rave reviews here. Maybe I'm missing something. For me, it was nothing more than a not particularly memorable Reggie Perrin type of yarn. I'm also a little concerned that it has been compared to Cloud Atlas. I have read a couple of Mr Mitchells books and am looking forward to reading Cloud Atlas, I seriously hope it isn't comparable to this.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse