Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 February 2007
I bought this after reading a few great reviews and was not dissapointed. It's beautifully written, witty and totally addictive reading. Niven Govinden's portrayal of todays youth is scarily accurate and the flashback structure of the book really draws you in. I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 17 August 2008
I was a bit confused when I first saw this book cos its front cover makes it seem like it's for children but it definitely wasn't and I'm very glad I picked it up. I would strongly recommend it, except maybe for people who are easily offended. It is quite short and I couldn't put it down. The ending felt a bit rushed considering all the build up but I wanted the story to carry on which is the sign of a good read. The characters are all realistic and engaging, when I was reading it I recognised bits of them in people I know. The central figure is teenage boy Veerapen and from the start we know that the girl he loves has died. By the end we understand why as you learn more with each page. The action alternates between the present when the girl is dead and the past when she wasn't. The is a good method as it is interesting and makes the death more poignant. The novel left me feeling quite unsettled, as it reflects the often nasty realities of society today. It was especially interesting for me as it is set in the county I live in, but wherever you live I would recommend this book.