on 15 December 2010
Speaking as a teacher, this is an excellent book for students who haven't completed triple sciences at GCSE (i.e. you did Core/Additional Science or Science/Additional Science instead of separate Chemistry, Physics and Biology GCSEs). If you completed triple sciences, and especially if you got A/A* grades, then in all honesty you probably don't really need this book! But for those that didn't and who are going onto to A-level study, it's highly recommended. It's short and concise, with clear explanations. Well worth having a look through during the summer before you start your AS course, and also worth having to hand for the first couple of weeks for those times when everyone else in the class seems to already know something you have no idea about!
on 13 August 2009
A Wonderful book, CGP really do know how to present books, I found it to be both enjoyable and resourceful, it's a must for students going onto AS Level Chemistry. Since there is a pretty big gap between the standard required from students, with pretty much no transition.
A Must Buy for Student, Parents, Teachers and Tutors.
on 25 March 2015
After also purchasing collins range of study books I found these less helpful , as they seem to be less to the point and more joke, not my style of learning but has some one or two good bits of information
on 1 October 2010
I have just started AS chemistry and having got 2 As & 2 A*s in my modular examinations at GCSE purely from reading the excellent CGP revision guides I thought it would be good to get a starter book made by the same company. Perhaps it's less a fault with this product and more the fact that the GCSE CGP books were so good, but the material in this just seems to be a more condensed version of the GCSE textbook, and anything else was covered in my first 2 chemistry lessons at AS.

Save your money and don't bother with this.
on 2 September 2013
I found this book very useful for gaining a basic understanding of what I'd need to know to do AS Chemistry. The book does not ramble and go into too much detail and is to the point, making it understandable for those that have just finished their GCSEs.
on 5 February 2012
I am in my GCSE year, and because I have finished and taken the exams for all of my chemistry units, I decided it would be good to get this book so that I would be prepared for what was to come at AS level.

I found the information in this book to be very good, it recapped all of the information from GCSE that is needed at AS, some of which I already knew, some of which I had forgotten, and some of the information was new, yet still understandable thanks to the way that the book is laid out.

There are a good selection of questions to test to see if you understand topics, and I believe that this is an invaluable resource to anyone who plans on taking chemistry further after their GCSEs. I bought this before I purchased the AS chemistry textbook, and it helped me to understand some of the topics in that a lot better.

Overall, a must buy.
on 25 June 2014
Brilliant book; has some definitions and key terms that weren't covered in my triple science GCSEs. Very helpful as I took chemistry a year early, so it has helped me to get back into it again in preparation for AS level.
on 10 July 2014
Amazing follow on from my GCSE, it is the same format as my GCSE revision guide meaning I am already comfortable with the book.
on 18 February 2013
It covers the Chemistry content required with brevity and humour. An easy book to use and hopefully means the knowledge sticks.
on 19 November 2013
If your making the transition from GCSE to AS this text is really good to get you up to the right level.