Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 November 2013
The photo above does not do the book cover any justice.This book is so Christmassy it might have fallen out of Santa's sleigh. Real silver glitter you can touch covers part of the roof and around the window and door, it's so sparkly.
This is the first book I've read by Trisha Ashley and looking through her other books on Amazon I find that this is not the first book that is set in the Lancashire village of Sticklepond and although, like me you don't have to have read any of the other books first I really want to read them and find out how some of the other villagers who are on the peripheral of this book came to be there.
This book is about Cally who has been left pregnant by her cad of a boyfriend who has gone to work in Antarctica telling her if she keeps the baby she's on her own. Cally goes ahead with the pregnancy and Stella is born with a serious heart condition which can only be corrected by an operation in America before her fifth birthday.

Cally has to move back to her Ma's house in Sticklepond and try and raise money to give Stella her life saving operation. She meets Jago who looks like Johnny Depp (which can only be good) and they become friends but when Jago's money grabbing ex girlfriend appears on the scene Cally worries that he will be whisked off back to London again. She decides to put her love life aside and concentrate on Stella who is such a delightful little girl that I found myself willing everything to go well for her.
We are introduced to Cally's mother Martha who is an absent minded artist, there are some lovely moments between her and little three year old Stella. The rock star vicar Raffy and his wife Chloe who has a chocolate shop (there's a book about them) Miss Honey who lives in a care home and has a shop to sell and many more characters from the village. There is also a secret as to why Martha's family, the Almonds have not been welcome in the village for many years.

I did enjoy this book, it's the kind of book you can curl up with at a roaring fire with a glass of wine and some chocolate. It makes you feel as if you have a nice warm blanket around you. It's full of clever twists and turns along the way.
This is another book that's all about food. Cakes! Cally is a cake writer for a magazine and has to experiment with lots of different recipes, in fact a dream job. There are even a few recipes at the back of the book to try out yourself. So forget the chocolate,you will want cake.
After reading this delightful story I want to pack my up belongings and move to Sticklepond.Who wouldn't want to live in a village full of writers and artists with shops with the name of Cinderella's Slippers and Marked Pages, a pub called The Falling Star and a Witchcraft Museum ?
I will now have to visit more of Trisha Ashley's books as I really enjoyed her style of writing and I'm not ready just yet to leave Sticklepond behind.
A lovely Christmas stocking filler for any book lover.
Thank you to the publisher who provided me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
on 25 November 2014
“Wish Upon a Star” is another novel from Trisha Ashley set in the fictional village of Sticklepond. I was not only looking forward to reading a new Sticklepond book but also catching up with characters featured in previous books. However, this book could be quite easily read as a standalone book as previous characters play no great role in the story –they are just there in the background. The main characters have not featured in any previous Sticklepond book.

Cally is a single mum with a little girl Stella, who has a heart condition. She decides to sell her London flat to help fund life saving treatment in America and moves back home to her mum’s house in Sticklepond. Jago is a single man who, after having won a small amount on the lottery, abandons London and goes into the bakery business with his friend in a town nearby to Sticklepond.

When Cally and Jago meet by chance will their mutual love of baking be enough to melt their hearts after the heartbreak they both have suffered at the hands of previous partners? I decided to read “Wish Upon a Star” as one of my Christmas reads to get me in a festive mood I thought that given the cover there would be a good helping of tinsel and Christmas in the novel but this was not the case so beware if you are looking for a festive read then this may not be the book. However, if you are looking for a really good and heart warming story than this is definitely the book for you. So although this was not the book I thought it was going to be – it did turn out to be a lovely read with touching and moving story (but not overly sentimental). Perfect to curl up with on a cold winters evening – the story will leave you with a lovely warm glow inside you!
on 8 November 2013
Again a book you don't want to put down. It's lovely to be back in Sticklepond again and find out what has happened in the village. A real feel good book, with the right amount of humour and tension.
on 23 December 2013
another winning book set in the villages up north. Trisha Ashley books are amazingly written and all interlinked. I love the way you meet same characters as the interact with each other and how new characters are placed into the villages and are taken into the lives of the villagers.

After the family history with the village was sullied by an ancient uncle Cally went back to live with her mother (who kept herself to herself), to raise money for her ill daughter to go to America for a live saving operation. Cally's boyfriend had dumped her before she found out she was pregnant and didn't know his daughter existed and nor did he care.

Whilst running back and forth to the hospital they found a shop that sold gingerbread pigs, and Cally met Jago.

See how their relationship pans out, read how things go for Stella the little girl with the big heart. How people in the village reacted to who she was and the family past. Meet some interesting characters like Miss Honey.............
on 25 October 2014
I am now obsessed with books by Trisha, especially those based around the two villages and the characters that are involved in the storyline which she introduced in her other books. It doesn't matter which order you read them in as it just adds to the overall story. Wish Upon A Star involved a very sick little girl and the community getting involved to raise funds for that life changing operation which parents out there could relate to. Clever use of people from previous books and an emotional read to the end will have you looking for more from this author.
on 19 December 2013
Once again, Trisha Ashley delivers a heart-warming Christmas read peopled with delightful characters in fascinating situations.

Cally is a charming heroine, brave and determined to do her best for her little girl Stella - and Stella herself is an absolute star. It must be very hard to write about a chronically sick child without descending into sentimentality. Trisha never goes anywhere near sentimentality. She makes Stella so real, so feisty and enchanting that I was willing her to get well again. As the mother of a daughter who was once in intensive care for the worst week of my life, I could empathise completely with Cally.

Trisha writes with humour and sympathy about what it means to be a mother. The rewards, the griefs and the pleasures of parenthood are all here in this lovely story.
on 22 January 2014
I HAVE JUST REALISED WITH THIS BOOK, THAT TRISHA HAS BECOME MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR. I LOVE HER CHARACTERS AND THE STORYLINES, ESPECIALLY HER SEASONAL BOOKS. THERE IS A COSYNESS AND WARMTH IN HER WRITING, WHICH INCORPORATES PEOPLE, CHILDREN AND ANIMALS IN HOMES THAT YOU YOURSELF COULD HAPPILY LIVE IN. I ALSO LOVE THE COVERS OF HER BOOKS, WHICH ARE COLOURFUL, EYECATCHING, AND VERY CHRISTMASSY IN THE CASE OF THE END OF THE YEAR STORIES. YOU CAN ALMOST FEEL THE COLD, LOOKING AT THE SPARKLY SNOWY SCENES THAT ILLUSTRATE THE CONTENTS. YOU REALLY FEEL PART OF THE LIVES OF THE PEOPLE WITHIN THE PAGES BY THE TIME THE BOOK IS FINISHED.
on 17 December 2013
I have loved all of Trisha's books set in the lovely village of Sticklepond, so it was a delight to find myself back there once more.

I am not going to give away the story but suffice to say that the new characters of Cally, Jago and Stella really bring this magical story together along with the delightful Miss Honey and older characters we have met before such as the gorgeous vicar Raffy and his wife Chloe.

I was gripped from the very first page, wanting to read more and more, yet never wanting it to end.

Thanks for another magical book Trisha
on 17 November 2013
If I was to wish upon a star, I would wish that the village of Sticklepond and the surrounding villages were real, so that I could visit. So, when I read that this, Trisha's latest book would be one of the Sticklepond series, I was really pleased. If this is your first journey to Sticklepond then you are in for a treat, and if you have been before, then you are in for a treat because we get to catch up with some of our favourite old characters, and also meet some great new ones - Cally and her little girl Stella.

Stella's father was not interested in staying around for her birth, and Cally has raised her alone. While fundraising for life-saving surgery for her daughter, Cally goes back to stay with her own Mother in the village of Sticklepond where she overcomes a family secret to become part of the community.

A lovely heart-warming story, a hero to fall in love with, and delicious sounding cakes to make your tummy rumble, this book has the added bonus of some recipes at the back as a treat.

If you want a book to go to bed with a hot water bottle and a cup of tea and read start to finish in one go because you don't want to put it down, then this is the book for you!
on 9 January 2014
I love reading Trisha Ashley 's books and once again this one hits the spot. It's nice to see previous book characters crop up during the story & it's like meeting old friends and finding out what's happened to them. This book introduces some new characters and another great story line. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil the story for others. Trisha writes brilliantly, and gets everything spot on. I never want to put her books down.