The King's Mistress
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 April 2017
A very interesting angle from the point of view of Jane Lane, her part in helping King Charles 2nd escape. Well written,
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 September 2012
I found this book a little bit long-winded and somewhat lacking in pace - I know that Charles spent a lot of time poverty stricken and hanging about European courts but did not find it particularly entertaining reading! I also found it difficult to warm to Jane's character - gullible or sanctimonious? Maybe a bit of both - I did find her slightly irritating and skipped quite a few pages that seemed repetitive to me. Not my favourite book or character.
on 17 August 2012
I really loved this book and felt the hope, love pain and anguish Jane went through during her 10 years of adventure.
I like the historical facts about this book to the point I actually found it educational and made me google for more stuff about the people and their family of the that time period.
Jane sacrificed a lot for the king and I really wanted for her to have her love in the end and was sad that the king treated her so badly to the point I was calling him a slag. I was spitting even more bullets when I found out (throught google) that he actually sired 12 children and none of them could go to throne because they were bastards.
I think the thing I would like to see is a movie about Jane lane! After all there was the films about Oliver Cromwell, Henry the 8th, the duchess, so why not this for I am sure it would top the 50 shades of gray film.
This book is really worth the read and I would recommend this to anyone who love suspense and adventure and on top a good love story.
on 19 February 2013
It's the seventeenth century and the olde world of England is in turmoil, with one king deposed and one in waiting on the run for his very life. It is into this maelstrom that Gillian Bagwell takes us, on a journey of suspense, history, adventure, love and lust, recreating in a marvellously written, addictive manner the flight and exile of Prince Charles Stuart, later King Charles II, and his fall and rise in the annals of British history through the eyes (and emotions) of Jane, daughter of a royalist family.
From her rural home to the docks of the south coast, to France, Flanders and back again, Jane tells us the story of a tempestuous time in British history, where the very foundations of the ancient monarchy was ripped from its soil then gradually replanted again, and her unavoidable love for the man on whom that restoration rests.
I found this intriguing, beautifully written and captivating from the start and though, as another reviewer comments, there is a dip in the pace/action when Jane, along with many others of Charles's court (including the man himself), has to suffer the hardships of exile from those she loves, I still really enjoyed this story and was sad to come to the final page and close the book.
More like this, please, Gillian!!
on 15 September 2012
Gifted copy:

This is an intriguing rendition of Jane Lane's brave assistance in Charles II's perilous trek through the English countryside, and fits precisely with Charles' own accounts of his safe escape to France. Beautifully written as fiction based on true fact, the reader is presented with a romantic-minded young woman given to flights of fancy. On the brink of sexual self-discovery: albeit a bit late in the day at age twenty-five, a young handsome Gypsy masturbating in the orchard heightens Jane's interest all things sexual pleasure. Needless to say, when a twenty-one-year old darkly handsome individual (Charles Prince of Wales, destined to be King Charles II) and looking not unlike the Gypsy fellow, Jane is smitten. No wonder then that fantasy soon becomes reality and Jane indulges Charles in a somewhat reckless manner.

As an avid sceptic to the belief Jane was ever his mistress per se, I nonetheless enjoyed the fictitious element of romance between Jane and Charles Stuart. After all, he had a voracious appetite for female flesh, and it's not so difficult to imagine that an infatuated Jane (older than him) would be easy prey to the likes of a royal rake. That said, given Charles' virility, I think Jane would without doubt have given birth to a King's bastard had she been his mistress in the true sense of the word mistress. The King's Mistress is a lovely story and it does highlight Jane's immense bravery and, gives account of Charles undying respect for those who helped him when in desperate need. Many of his followers were rewarded grandly, none more than Jane who not only risked her life, her family too risked all for the sake of a king.
on 17 February 2013
This novel was a gift from someone who just knew I like historical novels. By pure coincidence and unknown to the gift giver, the main character, Jane Lane was born and brought up a stone's throw from where I live and many of the manor houses and places mentioned in the story are very familiar to me. There is a school named after Jane Lane in my home town built on the site where she grew up.
It was Jane Lane who helped King Charles II escape to France and the author tells the story beautifully and accurately. Whether or not Jane became one of his mistresses is unknown but its very interesting to contemplate what may have been.
on 23 January 2013
The King's Mistress is areally good historical read, interesting and with enough detail and description to bring the story to life
on 31 January 2013
Very enjoyable and truly believable. WILL be reading more of Gillian Bagwell. In line with Philippa Gregory. Next one please
on 8 November 2012
this is a good book for a cold night - early to bed with my Kindle. Hope I can make it last at lrast two nights!
on 25 January 2013
Enchanting. Read in a day as couldn't put it down for long. Left me with a smile and looking for more.