A Broken Family
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 February 2014
if you read the back cover, the book itself is not what is to be expected, it's so much more. A very involving book. I think I felt a part of it because I've known characters like what appear within these pages.

Very well written and set in a period where it seems men were men and the woman's place was in the kitchen and then when the man has a fully belly, she'd better be on the bed and willing or be taken by force. Was society in the late 50's really that barbaric?

Mostly based around one street where at the top you have the snobs and living at the bottom you have your working class salt of the earth types.

Quite a fascinating read and so much better than I was expecting it to be.

I relate strongly to Mabel Povis.
on 18 January 2013
some of the reviews for this story were not good, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. There were lots of up and downs with the story, and I felt really sad for two characters, they went through hell, I wont say more or it will ruin it for others.

Celia is a right cow, and I never felt sorry for her one bit, they say 'What goes around, come around, so she got what she deserved, just my opinion, to la di da for me she was.

I recommend this book highly, well done Kitty Neale, you have woven your magic yet again
on 23 February 2014
Probably the worst book ever written, certainly the worst I have ever read. I’m only giving it one star because there is no option to give no stars, or minus stars. Our book club read it, as it was a “Sunday Times Best Seller” which clearly is no recommendation. All 14 members (a very varied membership) loathed the book and a couple refused to finish it. Complete and utter rubbish from start to finish. I can’t think of one single good thing to say about it. How it ever got published is a complete mystery to me. Awful.
on 2 April 2018
Started this book and it kept my attention from the 1st page
You get a feel for the characters and can imagine each and every one of them with the good descriptive
There were no dull pages you won't be bored
I will be Reading more from this author
thankyou
on 11 February 2013
I quite liked the story - but it was somewhat predictable. I thought the writing was poor and didn't like her style at all, phrases such as 'a bubble of laughter rose up through her' would be acceptable in a school essay, but is a bit coy for a professional writer. If you want a really easy read, which does not challenge you in any way then go for it. However, if you want something beautifully written, that keeps you engaged and questions your views on life then check out The Snow Child.
on 5 April 2013
Not my usual type of book to read, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The book was well written and the characters believable. There wasn't any huge plot lines, just a nice enjoyable read with one or two twists thrown in.

My main criticism of this book is the ending. I felt it was very rushed as if the author wanted to just get on and finish the book. She could have padded it out a little I thought. It was very abrupt and a bit disappointing. If the ending had been better I would've given it 4 stars.
on 4 September 2015
As usual, Kitty Neale gives us a great story but this one is particularly good because of the clever twists in the plot lines. Kitty Neale is an author who can hold the reader's interest from start to finish and, although her endings are always satifactory, one regrets that the story is finished.
on 11 January 2018
I so enjoyed reading this book I could hardly put it down . The characters and storytelling so absorbing made it seem real. It was such a good read I would recommend it to anyone.I will certainly be reading more books by Kitty N.in the future .
on 30 January 2013
I have read all of Kitty Neale's previous books so I was pleased to see a new one had been published. I like this author's books because they are usually set in the fifties (when I was a young woman) and I know the area of London where the story takes place.

Another good thing about Ms Neale's books is that they do not contain explicit sexual descriptions but the characters' emotions and relationships are well described. I think the proof of a good book is that one is sorry to come to the end of it, having come to know and like the characters.
on 29 January 2013
This was the first kitty neale book that I have read, I thoroughly enjoyed it, it got me interested right from the first chapter. I only gave it four stars because as you read the book some of the characters name's have been muddled when it has been converted to kindle edition so it could get a bit confusing, but on saying that five stars would be given to the author for an enjoyable read. For anyone who likes to read Katie Flynn, dilly court, Lyn Andrews etc would enjoy this too. Have already purchased my next kitty neale and can't wait to start it.