HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 29 May 2011
Kay's friend Peggy dies and leaves her some money and Kay decides she's going to buy a property in Lyme Regis and make a new life for herself. She is a great fan of Jane Austen - particularly of `Persuasion' - which is why she chose to move to Lyme Regis.

Unfortunately properties are very expensive and she finds the only way she can survive is to buy a run-down B&B - Wentworth House. Kay is thrilled when her first guests are members of the cast of a new film production of `Persuasion' especially as one of her guests is the gorgeous Oli Wade Owen.

But what makes the perfect hero? Kay thinks she knows. So does Gemma - the actress playing Anne Elliot. Are they right? Maybe the real heroes aren't the obvious candidates. I found this book a little slow at first and Kay irritated me as she seemed to spend a lot of time day dreaming but she did grow on me. Perhaps she was too nice.

I liked Gemma and I liked Adam - the scriptwriter - and his cat Sir Walter. I found Oli just too irritating and I couldn't really see him as anyone's perfect hero as he's a philanderer with no idea of how to relate to people in a normal everyday manner.

I enjoyed reading this book and I think it may repay a second reading. I don't think it is as good as Weekend with Mr Darcy, A I liked the storyline and some of the characters but others were not so convincing.
6 people found this helpful
on 20 January 2014
Book no.2 in the Austen Addicts series doesn't disappoint, The heroine is a good mix of whimsy, Austen mania and practical skills. Unfortunately she falls for the (predictably) rotter of a b&b guest and doesn't appreciate the qualities of the quieter and much nicer hero who is trying to get to know her better. A series of endearing mishaps, misunderstandings and a little bit of heartache power us through the novel to the enjoyable ending.
If you love Jane Austen and/or light romances this is definitely a book for you.
P.S. This book is also being sold under the title "Dreaming of Mr. Darcy". The content is completely the same - no need to buy both!
on 5 December 2011
I read this immediately following reading the first in the Trilogy "A weekend with Mr Darcy". I enjoyed it a lot but not as much as the first book, as I felt it was a little "rushed" and the characters were not as believable. Having said that, as my favourite Austen novel is "Persuasion" and the book is based around making a movie of the book, I thought it was a nice, feel-good read. I quite enjoyed the heroine, Kay's daydreams as I am inclined to be like that myself and therefore I could identify with her. But I agree with another reviewer that the character of Oli was not as well-written as others, and I therefore could not bring myself to like him at all and wondered why women were falling at his feet! All in all, an enjoyable, lighthearted read.
on 4 May 2014
This story had a few twists to the story and kept me engrossed throughout. The fun dialogue and engaging characters who all had a story to tell gave it further depth. The main characters are Kay, Gemma, Oli, Adam and Rob who tangle themselves with mid read signals, crushes and heartache.

The story moves at a nice place. The only query I had with this book is the character of Kay who was a terrible daydreamer, and because of her obsessive thoughts and romantic notions, she seemed a little pathetic and desperate,so hard to connect to and like completely, however do not let that minute thing embellish the story.
on 22 May 2017
As ave not been able to put this novel down! A lovely story brought to life with characters you want to meet. Loved every page x
on 18 July 2015
Sorry didn't like it much, with all this Austen backdrop to the story. Not really much of a story. Characters weren't all that believable. Not as good as 'The Rose Girls'. Young teenagers might like it I suppose but not anyone who wants a cracking good read.
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2013
Loved this! I know Lyme Regis (where the story is set) very well and could instantly picture the houses and views that Ms Connelly describes - in fact I am certain I must have met her characters at some time during a visit there - they all seemed so very real!

Well done - a superb story, just right for reading on a cold winter's night, curled up in frnt of the fire, book in one hand, glass of wine in the other, box of chocs beside you....
on 27 April 2017
A lovely read, I really like the books in this series. Can't really go wrong when Jane Austen is included!
on 6 June 2013
I have always loved Jane Austen's novels and I enjoyed the way the writer wove together the Persuasion plot, via the film, and aspects of Emma and her matchmaking.madam was the more constant one in this story, which gave a twist to Jane Austen's view that women are more constant than men. I could have HIT Oli. He was a stereotype, but so many film stars behave just as badly as he does!
on 22 October 2011
Having read and enjoyed A Weekend with Mr Darcy I decided to download this too. I actually enjoyed this one more than the first book. If you're looking for nice lightheared escapism then this book fits the bill. Along with plenty of references to Jane Austen and some humour. A curl up by the fireside book.
4 people found this helpful