Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2017
good read
on 30 September 2012
I bought this book because the surname means something to me. The contents and story line were the most boring I have ever read. Perhaps it was me, but there seems to be no continuity to the story, and a ridiculous ending. Very disappointing read for me.
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2009
This book started so so well. The mystery element was set up really well and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen. Well, I was disappointed. The "big" storyline went no-where and there were so many mini-plots I couldn't keep up. There were also some of the most annoying characters I think I've ever read about (step forward Isabella). When we got to a conversation part, they were totally unnatural (has the author ever listened to anyone real speak?).

It was all too perfect and the ending didn't tie a single thing up. All in all, the book made absolutely no sense. It gets two stars because I did manage to finish it, it was good at the beginning and I liked the cover.
on 30 December 2009
I read this book in a day as it's a very easy read. The story started off really well, classic chick-lit but with loads of great descriptions of the characters and the Irish setting. The blurb on the back tells you that the premise of the story is regarding what the sisters discover in their family home. We find out early on what this secret is but then it seems like the author forgot what her book was going to be about as it's hardly mentioned throughout the rest of the book.

Lots of sub-plots are set up but again towards the end it's like the author was fed-up writing the book and couldn't be bothered finishing any of the stories. There are also some random events that seem to jar completely with the characters ie. Dervla's marriage.

Even if the book is the first in the series, it ends so abruptly that it's totally put me off reading any more of Kate Thompson's book. We were all taught at an early age that a story should have a beginning, a middle and an end... not a beginning then a mish-mash then nothing at all.
on 13 June 2009
This was the first Kate Thompson book i've read, and I have to say i found it lacking any real plot and substance. I thought it started off quite well, laying the foundations of 2 intriguing mysteries..but then it never bothered to particularly follow them up! Didn't really warm to either of the 2 main female character's - both a bit stereo-typed - Dervla the cold career girl, and Rio the free-spirit - and not much more to either of them than that. The whole thing just didn't work for me. When i'm reading a really good book, i dread getting to the end - but with this i just wanted to hurry up and finish it so I could start something else. My sister loved it - so maybe it's just me!
on 10 May 2009
I love all Kate's books and couldn't wait for this one to come out . I was not in the least bit disappointed. I couldn't put the book down and read it in two days.The book has a wonderful setting in Lissamore with a great cast of characters which draw you in from the outset. With such vivid descriptions of Lissamore and its surrounding areas you could almost imagine you were there. Whilst reading the book a character called Fleur was often mentioned but we never really got to know her which I found strange but this was resolved at the end as we got a sneak peek of Kate's next book which will feature Fleur. I can't wait for the next installment and to return to Lissamore and a great cast of characters. Buy the book today , it's the perfect read for a sunny summer's day in the garden!
on 2 September 2009
If you are looking for a beach-read to take you to the West of Ireland, something that isn't taxing, or thought-provoking in a soap-opera kind of way then this will do the trick. The characters aren't complex, and there are a few quirks that make you think the editor hadn't quite read through it all (how many references to Jo Malone perfume can you get in one book?) but overall if you take if for what it is - trashy chick-lit, then it is in fact hugely enjoyable. A bit like a modern Mills & Boon for the 21st Century, but in Connemara. Very easy to read and even though bits of it made me cringe (it really is ridiculously girly in parts) I have to admit I enjoyed it.
on 20 April 2009
Set in against a different background, with different characters than in the previous novels this one is a promising start to the Lissamore series. There is a strong autobiographical element to the story, which only makes it more realistic and riveting to read. This is not a chick-lit novel full of clichés, but a book about 'real' characters and all that happens to them as they muddle along through their lives, just like the rest of us. Having said that, there is plenty of action, drama and humour! All in all, I'd recommend you read it for yourself.
on 22 June 2009
I recently re-read Kate Thompson's first book, "It Means Mischief," while waiting for, "Love Lies Bleeding," to arrive. As I live in the States, I only check in once a year to see if she has written anything new, and while I devoured, "Love," I ordered, "The Kinsella Sisters." This is a new chapter for Thompson as a writer, and I'm glad I renewed acquaintances with Deirdre and company before Kate said a fond farewell (it seems so) to them in her last book. She's moved onto this set of characters and all their foibles, shifted from the world of film and theater to real estate and hippie chicks who can grow up but never forget who they are in their heart. Most of all, I'm glad she's still writing. She pulls you through the pages with an ease that belies a nicely structured story, and gives you an ending you didn't expect, but is more fitting than the one you thought was coming. Fortunately for us, the first chapter of the next book is printed as a tease at the end of this one. We're staying in the west for a while, but this universe is expanding, so hopefully there will be more teasing to come as well.
on 19 January 2012
I didn't dislike it, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I bought it because of the Irish thing, and because it had 2 'follow up'books (more of them under the titles -"The O Hara Affair" and ..."That Gallagher girl") but it is not in the same league as Maeve Binchy, Cathy Kelly, Patricia Scanlon etc. Some of the plot was a little far fetched,and as someone else, I didn't 'warm'to any of the main characters, except perhaps Dotty Daphne!