Last Rites
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 September 2017
Last Rites is the 5th book that I have read in a row as they are brilliant reads. They build up to great stories with characters that are normal and believable. However each plot takes you on a journey with brilliant characterisation and can be scary but very detailed. Neil White is a master storyteller and I have become hooked. I'm going to read them all.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 4 February 2014
After discovering Neil White I've worked my way through all his books and have enjoyed them all. The Jack and Laura dynamic are excellent and the story is fresh. If you've not read earlier books I recommend checking them out first, although there isn't an overall story arch it'll help you get to know the characters.
on 19 November 2017
A wonderful, gripping story from start to finish, and having lived in 'Blackley' under the shadow of Pendle Hill for most of my 65 years, I find it all the more entertaining.
on 6 May 2017
I read this purely because it was a local to me story, but I found it very, very cruel. Don't think I will become a Neil White groupie.
on 4 December 2017
Once started unable to put down until finished, although realised on of the villains early on in the book. .
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
A little different from the first two in the series and a lot more gory, sometimes unnecessarily so. Jack & Laura seem to be settling into middle age a bit which is a little disappointing but overall, especially in the second half of the book, a fantastic read.
on 2 December 2010
Excellent again. A bit gruesome in part, but unable to put down. Read the first for background if you havent already. Apologies for lack of punctuation, on my Kindle. I am buying the fourth book in the next few minutes. Very impressive series and author.
on 30 December 2014
Continuously surprising page after page keeping you intrigued.
Looking forward to his next book - god bless my kindle for bringing me back to the joy of reading.
on 8 June 2017
satisfactory
VINE VOICEon 9 July 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
'Last Rites' is excellent. It is set in Lancashire, and tells the story of Jack Garrett, a reporter, and his partner Laura, a police officer originally based in London. but who has moved to Lancashire with her son Bobby, to be with Jack. Laura is an ambitious Police Officer, who has taken a backward step career-wise in moving to Lancashire, and is embroiled in a custody battle with her ex, over her son. She and Jack are going through a very strained patch in their relationship, and things get worse when a local woman, Sarah, apparently murders her lover, and then runs away. Jack becomes involved with the case, and all is not as it seems. There is murder, mystery, witchcraft, legend, truth, fiction,and horror all contained within the book, and it draws on the legend of the Pendle Witches. I found it to be very gripping, entirely feasible, and thoroughly horrifying - in the fact that it is very realistic, and the plot was brilliant, I thought. A brilliantly good read, and highly recommended.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse