Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2007
This book is a brilliant resource for fresh ways of working in drama. As a freelance workshop leader I have used it with primary school kids (7-11 years), teenagers and adults. The games have gone down really well - I never run my sessions without it!
on 13 June 2007
David Farmer has a reputation throughout Europe and even the United States for taking large classes of schoolchildren and turning them spellbound by his plays and keeping them in that state during a lesson on how to achieve realistic acting. This book should be in every school, and much wider afield. If you're involved in drama or simply wanting to help children or adults pop out of their normal skins for a while then buy this book.
on 15 March 2013
Quick and easy to use - a supply teacher can also make quick and easy use of it. It's like a good children's poetry book - open it at any page and the game will be carefully explained and effective in the classroom. Games are easy to adapt and children enjoy adding ideas of their own.
on 5 April 2010
As a drama specialist for more years than I care to remember I am always on the look out for new resources to help my workshops become more vital and exciting for my students. This book offers nothing new,just a series of activities culled from other sources, with very little background information to help these games etc become integrated into a cogent scheme. Overpriced and overhyped by the self publising author, and thin on content. There are far better resources out there. This is OK I guess if you are new to the process of drama, but only just.
Check out for example[ Jessica Swale Drama Gamesfor Classrooms and Workshops and Classroom Gems: Games, Ideas and Activities for Primary Drama]]
on 1 May 2009
David Farmer comes up with a fantastic resource for those wishing to find play in their...plays!
An expansive and well constructed collection of games to play and activities to do in your theatre group or drama club.
Ice breakers, improvisation, team building...it's all here, simply and intelligently presented.
Buy it.
on 3 January 2010
I run a drama club and am always looking for new ideas and games. This book has been a life saver. I have bought other drama books and some are good others not so helpful, this one is definitely an essential drama teachers requirement.
Well done David Farmer, and thank you.
on 25 April 2010
This places most of the drama games I have come across in the last 30 years, and some I haven't, in one easy to use format. I'm not saying it's the only book you will need but it is an essential one.
on 25 May 2012
This is a must have book! Since I started teaching drama, I have not stopped using it as it is a constant source of inspiration and handy starting points. Thank you so much David for putting this book together! The students have enjoyed all the activities in the book.
on 2 February 2011
This is a fantastic book. I run a performing arts Saturday school for students aged 7-17 and I am always looking for new resources. I came to Amazon looking for a book that would provide me with new warm ups and drama games for my classes but wouldn't patronise my students and I am so glad I chose this one. (I have bought and returned others!) It is well set out and clearly written from experience. You can tell by the way the the author has described the games that they are tried and tested. I have already started using them and they are great fun and also help the students develop their skills, confidence and understanding.
The book is broken up into chapters: Icebreakers, Warm-ups, Improv, Group Dynamics etc so it can be used just as a basic resource for games or as a starting block for entire lessons.
Don't be fooled by the fact that isn't a huge book. It's a credit to the author that he managed to get SO MUCH useful information into 80 pages. It is concise and informative and I will be back to Amazon to see what else David Farmer has written.
on 21 December 2009
As a freelance drama teacher I do tend to carry this around in my bag as a good reference to dip into. But I did find when I first read it, that I mostly found myself saying 'oh yeah, I know this one, and this one, etc etc'. If you've got more than a couple of years experience in drama, you might want something more advanced, but it is good to refer back to occasionally to remind yourself of the odd rule so does come in handy sometimes!