Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 May 2017
I purchased this book for my British partner's father.
As I myself come from Russia, Dovlatov has a very special place in my heart. I was a bit worried about how his humour would translate to foreign mindset, but my partner's dad loved it.
The book itself is small, but at the same time provides a hilarious view on many aspects of soviet/post-soviet life.
100% recommended.
on 15 April 2003
Ever stole your County-Major's Shoes? Ever beeing amazed by your portrait in your wife's photo-album? Ever met a policeman crazier that the madman he should watch? Ever seen the birth of a beautiful book,from the story of a Suitecase? Dovlatov did it all! Being a beautiful and funny description of Sovietic life in the 70's this novel will strike you reminding how much of our past life can be hidden in the story of any single object in our suitcase and,like Proust's Biscuits, it will take you in a magical world of remembrance and Melancholy. A Mustread.
on 12 February 2013
Dovlatov uses the disparate objects in the suitcase he has brought with him in emigrating from the Soviet Union to piece together episodes in his life there and to reflect on what they said about the vagaries of life in that society at that time. Simple, witty, melancholy, you just wish there had been more things in the suitcase to keep the wonderful writing going for another hundred pages or more! A great writer.
on 2 November 2015
Really wonderful set of stories that combine humor with marvelous insights into the crumbling Soviet regime. Dovlatov lived a hard life, but captures it in a way that would have made James Thurber smile.
on 26 June 2014
I read all books by Dovlatov in Russian and in English and I laughed till I cried every time. The translation is superb, I would never imagine that a book can be enriched by translation.