Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 February 2016
very good thank you
on 11 April 2017
This story, 49th in the original editions, is one of the better ones, in my view. Len, Con and Margot Maynard are now sixteen. The book is about them primarily, in the context of a term that's filled with dramatic situations, mostly featuring one or more of the triplets.

Each incident makes interesting reading, and I liked seeing the different characters of the three. They’re realistically flawed; but all, in their different ways, likeable. Perhaps there is too much drama for one term; chapter after chapter gives more excitement. There’s very little about ordinary Chalet School life; it’s a background to the triplets’ lives, but I like the change of pace. However, those who are not fans of the Maynards may find it dull.

As a piece of mid-century social history I think this series has tremendous value, even though it focuses on the upper middle classes, and an idealised school system. Still, Brent-Dyer doesn't hide the tragedies that struck all too often, and there's one particularly sad story that develops towards the end.

Best read as part of the series, although it could stand alone. Probably appeals most to voracious readers aged around 12-14, and their parents and grandparents who remember the series with fondness from their youth.
on 24 April 2016
This is a great read. I particularly loved the story "Robin heeds the call" which was very well written and absolutely in the style of Elinor Brent-Dyer. It rang very true for me, A very sensitive subject handled really well by the authors. I just wanted to read more!
on 29 March 2014
Wish I'd never got rid of my series, so glad girls Gone By Publishers are republishing/reprinting them.

I like them more than St Clare's or Malory Towers, The Abbey School Series or Angele Brazil books etc.

EMBD wasn't afraid to thrust her characters into adventures and had a definite sense of humour.

I may be male and in my fifties, but if an author works for you, then they work for you.

I still prefer Enid Blyton Secret Series, The Famous Fives etc, Malcolm Saville books, but The Chalet School is a series and a half. Can be read by boys as well as girls and men as well as women just for the story and the humour and the adventure.
on 7 February 2014
The Chalet School Triplets by Elinor M Brent Dyer, GGBP Edition. I love the Chalet School series - I became hooked as a child, and have never outgrown, I love them even more now. It is great to see the old books being reprinted, with no cuts or alterations, and with the original illustrations. Well done to Girls Gone By Publishing!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!
on 15 June 2013
I hope to be able to read an unabridged version of this sometime, having been spoilt by ggb reprints of several of the hardbacks! Still a good read for chalet fans
on 10 August 2014
This is one of the later ones in the series and the quality of writing has deteriorated somewhat. The same popular characters are there, but the book appears to contain a series of unconnected events without much in the way of plot or character development, despite one horrible incident involving Margot's temper.
on 23 December 2015
Been wanting to read this for years. Thankyou
on 23 June 2015
collecting the whole series and have 3 more to complete my collection
on 19 July 2014
This is a very short book about a girl whose sister was a famous actress, but nobody knew at the Chalet School. Book is well illustrated and Robin Heeds the Call is a sweet story about the ever popular Robin who decides she wishes to become a nun. I read this book in no time but I was disappointed with it, I wanted more. Not my usual enjoyable Chalet School read I'm afraid.