TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 November 2013
Marnie Logan often feels like she's being watched. Nothing she can quite put her finger on -- a whisper of breath on the back of her neck, or a shadow in the corner of her eye -- and now her life is frozen. Her husband Daniel has been missing for more than a year. Depressed and increasingly desperate, she seeks the help of clinical psychologist Joe O'Loughlin.

So I'm a huge fan of the Joe O'Loughlin books from Michael Robotham so I was very much looking forward to this one (And hoping that Ruiz would be involved so YAY!) and it didnt disappoint.

Marnie has some godawful problems - a loan shark on her tale, a missing husband and a distinct lack of funds are making for a pretty poor existance. Struggling to cope she turns to Joe for help with her depression...and as things develop it becomes apparent that there is more going on in Marnie's life than initially meets the eye.

One of the strengths of these novels is Mr Robothams ability to write multi layered, psychologically intriguing characters not only with his main protagonists but with those they encounter along the way - even peripheral or secondary characters have a certain depth to them and this makes every story different enough that the series never becomes dull.

Certainly he has managed that here with Marnie, a damaged yet sympathetic woman who has had some major curveballs thrown at her in this game we call life and yet manages to still be standing, albeit rather unsteadily. You will feel for her and want things to start going her way.

The story twists and turns, keeping you on your toes and you will metaphorically cheer when at last Ruiz turns up to keep Joe on the ball and offer some practical support - Joe's own ongoing battle with Parkinsons disease ( an extremely authentic developing character arc) continues to cause him problems and frankly he could do with the help.

Ok so as usual for me I had it all in my head fairly easily as we went along and I was correct in all my assumptions but still I bow to Mr Robothams superior storytelling skills when it comes to turning things on their head at various points and giving me reason to doubt myself.

All in all if you love these novels you will also love this one - the writing standard is as high as it has ever been and it was a highly enjoyable reading experience once more. Whilst there are references to previous events, you could easily pick this one up and read it as a standalone - although personally, as ever, I would say start at the beginning if you are new to this author - that would be "The Suspect".

Happy Reading Folks!
2 people found this helpful
on 25 September 2017
Creepy and really thought provoking I found this read to be. Really enjoying reading books by this author and this one is dark creepy and had me looking over my shoulder on more than one occasion. No loose ends and for me with keeping me gripped all the way through it made it one of the best reads by Michael Robotham. Yes the blurb says quite a bit about the book but once reading it you realise it will be going somewhere where maybe you don't want it to go but no stopping it.
on 10 November 2016
I read Life or Death last year and loved it, being new to Michael Robotham.When Close your Eyes was published in p/back last month I tore into it and wasn't disappointed. Wanting more I then purchased the earlier work Watching You.I do love Joe O'loughlin's super intelligent psychologist with his troubled family life and coping with Parkinsons.Vincent Ruiz is welcome heavy to support Professor Joe and I always feel easier when he's in the picture should the opposition warrant; and in Watching You he's certainly up against a devious,ruthless and relentless adversary.The heroine of the piece is complex,vulnerable and not vulnerable by turns and Robotham weaves a clever plot throwing the reader a major red herring that has one wondering just how this will all turn out.You will not be disappointed.Always for me a denoument must be tied up with a giant ribbon and I get it here.Page turning great stuff.
on 2 June 2015
How refreshing to read something that zigs-zags away from my expectations, not once, but half a dozen times before page 57. And then continues to keep me guessing and wondering for another 450, only to kick me in the gut with the penultimate but one paragraph.
on 23 November 2013
This is a really frightening story that leaves lots of questions unanswered even though it has an acceptable ending. It was a well written story told through the eyes of several characters. I was relieved at the end that it turned out well for the main character.
on 30 December 2013
I started to read the stories about a Parkinson-suffering psychologist and a retired detective inspector in the middle of their joint timeline, but this did not spoil my reading at all. I have now read all of them, this is not the best - mainly because it is a little formulaic and the formula has been run a few too many times, so I am hoping for a slight departure the next time Mr Robotham publishes That said, this is a great read for all who enjoy slightly off-beat detective tales
on 27 July 2016
This further addition to the Joe O'Loughlin series has plenty of twists in the tale such that you are never quite sure where the plot is going next. Definitely committed to the next one in the series.
on 21 January 2015
Bought this based on a colleague's 'oohs' and 'ahhs' when she read it in the staffroom during lunch. My wife liked it. Didn't hear her go 'ooh' or 'ahh' though.
on 23 November 2014
One of my favourite writers and can hardly wait til I have another of his books. Excellent as always would definitely recommend this author and this book.
on 27 September 2013
Joe and Vincent do it again. A unique plot. People are being hurt and murdered around Marine, one if Joe`s patients. Is Marnie the killer or is she being stalked.
One person found this helpful