Customer reviews

on 27 August 2010
Like most of the previous reviewers I thoroughly enjoyed Ruth Newman's first novel Twisted Wing. This was a genuinely clever novel with strong plotting - and was well written to boot. In fact I recall describing her as the next Ruth Rendell in my review.

The Company of Shadows is a great disappointment. It started well but rapidly turned into a preposterous "James Bond meets the Sopranos"-style tale - liberally peppered with chick-lit type references. And it seemed quite clumsily-written to me.

Hopefully Ruth Newman will be back on form with her next novel.

Meanwhile I advise buying the complete Sopranos boxed set on DVD if organised crime is your thing.
on 7 May 2012
This must surely be one of the worst books I have attempted to read, I actually got it from the library, so at least I haven't thrown money down the drain.

Totally implausible, and long winded in the extreme. I have actually given up on it 2/3 of the way through when the storyline took a turn that was totally unreasonable and almost laughable. I wasn't very taken with the characters, so got to a stage of not caring what happened anyway .... now I will never know! :-)

This is my first foray into the world of Ruth Newman, and I doubt that I will venture there again.

I was also irritated by the grammatical errors .... 'Off of' and 'Sat' instead of 'Sitting'
on 24 August 2010
Like other reviewers I was also eagerly awaiting Ruth Newmans second book, having thoroughly enjoyed Twisted Angel. The book started promisingly enough but less than halfway through I was already frustrated by the unrealistic twists and turns that Kates personality, not to mention the plot, took. By the end it was just pure farce with seemingly little thought put into the writing process and plot. I was very disappointed and almost couldnt be bothered to finish the book. I probably wont buy Ruth Newmans next novel on the basis of this book.
on 28 July 2010
I bought this book based on my enjoyment of Ruth Newman's debut novel Twisted Wing, and I can certainly say I am NOT disappointed! Whilst a very different story from Twisted Wing, the plot has almost as many twists and turns and develops at just the right pace to keep you hooked but not lose you. Only my full-time job and two small children prevented me from finishing this book in one sitting - I whole-heartedly recommend it!
on 6 November 2014
Dreadful book,poorly edited,too much bad language.Obviously published on the back of the previous novel. First time I have read Ruth Newman.I am afraid it will be the last time.The main female character was very unpleasant and the plot lines so awful ,the ending unbelievable.Don't buy it!!!
on 3 June 2012
The book is instantly catching, the air of mystery and suspense is thrilling. The book progresses well but the only down side is that it feels like the author swapped half way through and the very real emotions turned into somewhat of a silly tale that let the overall story down....
on 9 November 2010
Today its one year - Kate Benson is still just making it through each day, having dreams every night about her dead husband. David and Samantha, her friends are supportive trying to get her interested in anything, even their holiday snaps. As Kate listlessly flips through them she sees in the background of a photograph taken in a restaurant, her husband Charlie.

Whilst her friends say they can see a likeness they say it cannot be him, but Kate is certain it is and is ready to fly out that night. Her friends urge caution and eventually Charlie's best friend Luke agrees to accompany her to Miami.

Despite being constantly told it could not possibly be him, Kate is determined to track down the man in that photograph. As she follows the trail she begins to question the circumstances of her husband's death, and also the people she trusts, or can she trust them?

This is one of those books you cannot put down. A fascinating mystery. Highly recommended.
-----
Lizzie Hayes
on 7 August 2010
I loved Twisted Wing (her last book), so I was really looking forward to reading this one. Twisted wing was so good this book had a lot to live up to.
I couldn't put this book down, Ruth Newman is a very talented writer. I would def recommend this book. I have given it 4 stars as although it is a great book which I really enjoyed, it wasn't quite as good as twisted wing. But still brilliant and very easy to read. Characters were great. I dont want to write too much without ruining it.
on 16 July 2010
I read Ruth Newman's previous book - Twisted Wing - and thought it was fantastic, so when this new novel was released i immediately bought it. It's a very different type of story - but it is none the less brilliant for that.
This book keeps you guessing all the way and when it comes together - very clever.

Buy it
on 11 August 2010
This book demonstrates the absolute talent of this wonderful author! This is a great story of mysteries and twists that will keep you guessing till the very end!

What the below 1 star reviewer does not understand the skill to write in a detailed descriptive manner - taking the reader to the streets of Miami or Sicily - helping the reader experience the sights, sounds and even tastes from the environment

I enjoyed every minute and will be happily reading this again.

Loved it!!!