on 2 May 2000
My guess is that if you are looking up this book it is because you are familliar with Scott Peck's work and particulary with The Road Less Travelled. The Road Less Travelled had a profound impact on me in my early twenties - as I know it did millions of other people. Further Along the Road is just as good, if not better.
I read it recently in my thirties and it felt like an extraordinarily wise and more mature book. I believe the man who wrote it, has grown in wisdom and maturity and he shares that here in a style which is, as always, clear, thought-provoking and above all affecting. I felt like I was in the presence of a real truth-seeker and a man who had come a good way down the Less Travelled Road himself, and was not afraid to admit his failings and pitfalls.
I might add that after the Road less Travelled I bought a number of other Scott Peck books ( A Different Drum, A World WAiting to Be Born, People of the Lie) and was usually disappointed. Further Along on the other hand is a seriously good book. Highly recommended for all seekers of wisdom.
0Comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2017
This is one book I recommend everyone to read. It really helps you look at you're own life, where you are and where you're going. I've read this book in just a few days cause it was enjoyable to read, although it can be challenging. I read it about 3 years ago but have still got it and refer back to it when I feel the need. Thanks M. Scott Peck for a great book, respect (regardless if those pervy rumours are true).
on 12 June 2017
Great follow up to his first book. Not as powerful and groundbreaking but a good follow up nonetheless. You will have to read at least twice to really appreciate it.
on 13 April 2017
superb
on 2 March 2017
Brilliant just what Iwanted
on 7 January 2014
an excellent sequel which builds upon the insights of The Road Less Travelled very well. Peck's own reflections on his own spiritual journey into Christianity alongside the spiritual dimension of the psyche was very helpful. I was slightly unsure of the 'stage' description of spiritual development - a slightly simplistic description of an aspect of humanity which I suspect is far more complex than is described. That said, his emphasis on the importance of therapists accepting and addressing this element of life is powerfully expressed.
on 8 March 2012
Like many people, I was drawn to this book because of the impact reading 'The Road Less Travelled' had on me.

This book is very disappointing, and somewhat misleading: what begins fairly soundly, as a continued exploration of the questions raised in the original book, becomes - by about half-way through - a discussion of psychology and spirituality as disciplines for understanding human experience, then proceeds to nothing more than propaganda for a re-evaluation of psychiatry in the US and a broadening of psychiatric terminology to encompass spiritual as well as 'purely psychological' realities.

As a former priest and psychotherapist, I do not necessarily disagree with the points Scott Peck makes, though I think he puts them narrowly and doesn't really explore the territory adequately to justify his proposals.

My greater criticism is that this is not what the reader is looking for - certainly not this reader. I was expecting a book, like the original, to help me reflect on myself, my growth, my spiritual life. What I get here is is a proposal aimed at psychological professionals.

Not good enough, when you're taking our money Dr Peck.
on 2 August 2017
Like many I was drawn to this book after reading 'the road less travelled' and it had such a positive imapct on me that i decided to read the second. Massively disappointed with this book; overload of Christianity and talks largely about himself..rather than helping the reader. Very dissapointed, Wish I had read the reviews before buying.. very frustrating.
on 21 January 2006
For an lapsed christian like myself this book was the first to make me do a half turn towards the ideals of christianity again, and sort the concepts of Jesus from the misinformation that surrounds them. The four stages of psycho-spiritual growth are a psychological tool that can be applied to a host of organisations, countries and individuals, and are a valuable explanation into what thoughtful, intelligent people feel instinctively about religious institutions and teachings. Definitely a good book to read if you have been let down or confused by the religious doctrine of your birth. Life changing stuff.
on 19 October 2009
If like me you purchased this book because you found 'The Road Less Travelled' wonderfully insightful, be aware that this follow-up book has a slightly different tone to it. I was quite surprised by the quite heavy references to Christianity.

It's predecessor resonated with something inside of me mainly because it managed to find a path in between Christianity and non-denominational/non-religious spirituality. If like me you are searching for spiritual support from sources which appreciate atheism or agnosticism or if you question the benevolence of a 'god' rejecting the immediate justification that 'well, God moves in mysterious ways' - or if you practice other religions - then this book might not be for you. I found that because of this the book had a far less positive impact on me than the first. I do not feel that it added anymore to my learning or development. Instead it left me feeling slightly frustrated.

I appreciate that these are highly subjective comments - and they are no way intended to offend - but no other similar comments were made and so I felt it neccessary to share my experiences.
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse