Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2014
I love historical fiction and I love all the authors involved in this book.The short stories were very well written with good characterisation but my only criticism was the part of the story involved with the magic/evil/healing properties of the stone. Ok but I prefer my stories to be filled with clues and intrigue - not a great 'magic' fan.I will try other books by this group though as the standard of writing was great. A good holiday read.
on 10 June 2016
Not sure if this works - that is many authors for one book using the same theme. Some chapters are better written than others and there is very little substance to the stories, but it is an easy and sometimes entertaining read and I enjoyed the real historical facts outlined at the end of each chapter which facilitated the writers to build up their fiction stories. I read it on Kindle.
on 27 February 2013
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading `The Sacred Stone' by the Mediaeval Murderers and found it a fascinating concept. Five different historical novelists take the single idea of a strange stone, reputed to possess curative powers and - in the wrong hands - the power to summon demons, and they write about its progress through the Middle Ages. Each author specialises in a different period of history and created a unique story around the mystique of the stone.

A shard from an ancient Arctic meteorite, the sacred stone becomes legendary and the centre of controversy and crime. Theft, mayhem and murder follow it wherever it goes - and it goes a long way. From Greenland to Ireland, England and France the stone is handed from one distinctive character to another. The five stories are rich in historical detail and take the reader on an enjoyable romp through six centuries. Every aspect of Mediaeval life is portrayed from the court of Edward III to the plight of the persecuted Jews in Norwich and the subjugation of the serfs in rural Devon. I was a little surprised that the final story took us out of the Mediaeval era and into the world of Shakespeare's London, but as it contained the best description of a hangover I have ever read, I am not unduly bothered by this anomaly.

My only complaint is that the eBook contained no details about which author wrote which section, and it required detective work on my part to find out more about the creators of my favourite characters and stories in 'The Sacred Stone.'
on 25 January 2013
The book is split into a number of different stories with the sky stone being the central point of interest. Each story made a very fascinating read and the authors really showed humankind at its best and worse. One of the best boks that I have bought for my Kindle, which I would thoroughly recommend.
A cracking offering from a group of top notch historical fiction crime writers. Here in this offering they take the reader on a journey through time following one artifact in each of their own indomitable writing styles. Each story is a great offering on its own and when read as a whole was a great overall story that I thoroughly enjoyed. Add to the mix the real talent of so many authors backed up with a good overall arc and cracking dialogue and it's a book that really will keep fans of historical crime satisfied.
on 15 May 2012
I first came across the author Bernard Knight and Crowner John in a medieval murderers volume. It so appealed to me I started to collect the complete Crowner John series. I also started to collect the complete Medieval Murderers volumes. This latest will please all fans of the group and bring a little solace to fans of Bernard Knight as his Crowner John books seemed to have finished. A brilliant read.
on 5 July 2013
The collaboration of authors was a little bizarre, some I liked more than others. I definitely thought I could tell which chapter Sansome wrote. But was an interesting story stretching over many years and an idea unlike any other I have read. Part fantasy part murder mystery.
on 18 August 2010
This bookmis as good as the others. It moves the characters on, and in onc case brings a minor character into the fore. Well done, and keep on producing such good "pageturners".
on 10 August 2013
What a good interesting character. Real insight to the church and law at this time. Insight to education, law and order at this scary time in history.
on 19 September 2010
Having read the previous Medieval murderers stories I waited to see if this was as good, and it was not found wanting. Excellent begining that continued through the ages.The ending was just what was needed to round of the stories.