Customer reviews

on 15 February 2015
Brilliant
on 7 September 2009
The book is like a Richard Anderson suit - no unnecessary padding, just the right size and well worth the price. Unlike so many books of this type Anderson has written a highly informative book on what. at first sight, might appear to be an esoteric subject, in an entertaining and interesting manner. My only criticism is that, having read the book and seen what it takes to create a bespoke suit, I can never again complain about the high cost of the finished product!
on 11 August 2010
Very interesting & surprisingly well written too (I don't know if he employed a ghost writer, but anybody that's endured the 'Janet & John' writing style of Peter Kay's "The Sound Of Laughter" will be relieved not to see the same here).

Lots of great insights into the rarified world of The Row that us mere mortals will unfortunately never experience first hand.

Let down only by the Westlife anecdote at the end which somewhat spoilt the book for me.
Let's be honest, Westlife are to music (manufactured mass market pap) what Mr BuyRight is to bespoke tailoring.
It is difficult to have imagined a client with whom I could have been less impressed.
on 14 October 2009
I bought this book, out of curiosity, because I had bought a suit from the same man. I did not know what to expect. What I got was a riveting tale full of passion, but also full of drama. I really could not put it down, and if I was younger I would now love to be a Savile Row tailor. Read it, and enter a world you probably know even less about than you thought. Very inspiring.
on 10 October 2009
This is a fantastic read. I throughly enjoyed the book which reads like a novel but in the process educates the reader to both the recent history of English bespoke tailoring and what goes into making a fine mens garment. Having enjoyed this so much my only disappointment is that while I can now appreciate what goes into making a bespoke suit the classic that it is I am unlikely to be able too afford to partake of the Savile Row experience myself. I now walk through life with a heightened appreciation for what I dont have!
on 9 November 2009
Excellent book, a real flashback to when apprentices where real apprentices and not a part of a non existent government scheme. Read it
on 29 September 2009
I can't believe all I learned about the tailoring industry! It was honest, humorous and very informative. Apparently, a great deal of research went into this novel and I applaud everyone who had a hand in its publication.
on 11 March 2010
I highly enjoyed reading the story of Richard Anderson's professional life, whilst discovering so many secrets of the world famous Savile Row techniques. The book is wonderfully written and contains lots of funny anecdotes with very demanding customers. An absolute must-read for people who care about elegance and style.
I was looking for something to read on my commute to London every day so out of desperation I picked this up. I didn't really know what to expect but in the end I got a brilliant read. The book is an autobiography of Richard Anderson and his journey to become a Savile Row tailor. The book is enlightening, funny, dare I say bitchy (?), will raise a few eyebrows but is a very, very enjoyable read. Not only that, it gives some details as to what goes into a truly bespoke garment - which in itself makes very interesting reading. It will make you want to rush out and buy your first Savile Row suit.
on 6 April 2014
What should be a very interesting readvery quickly descends into a tedious narrative decribing charcters who seem to appear in random order and have no more character that anybody else's workmates. There needs to be more interestinganecdotes - I'm sure there are plenty - and less detail about what begins to sound like anybody else's day job.
I'm afraid I gave up wiating for the interesting stuff about half way through. If you are really fascinated by work places in the 60s and 70s then this may be for you. If you want an expose of Savile Row, then probably not.