The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 September 2017
At first I was wary of this since it was so 'mainstream', but after being charmed by the film I gave it a chance and it has to be one of my favourite books in recent years.

The first person narrative is very accessible, but it's the protagonist himself who you really come to appreciate with his observations and self-awareness (or lack of, sometimes). I find him very relatable and his experiences resonated with myself and many others who have read this book. We all go through struggles in our teenage years, some of them universal and some of them very personal.

Don't let the diary-format put you off. This is actually easy enough to read and doesn't set out to confuse the reader.
on 29 March 2013
Hmm. Lots to admire and annoy. I quite enjoyed the perspective of the 15-year-old innocent viewing other teenagers and growing up but did get mightily fed up with the constant crying!!
Would 18 year old seniors SERIOUSLY make friends with the Freshman, especially one with mental issues such as Charlie? Didn't seem realistic to me. Or go out with him?

Nice coming of age story though and enjoyed the story. Didn't see what the aunt backstory really added to Charlie's though.

All in all, I won't be watching the film, but I'm glad to have read the book. Preferred Haddon's Dog in the Night Time on a similar-ish theme but this is likeable enough.
on 16 December 2015
Purchased for a family member and although not my type of film after watching with them I have to say for its genre its very good and if you enjoy this type of movie im certain you will love every angst ridden minute.
on 23 October 2017
Wonderful, lovable characters, poignant, slowly unfolding tale, superb music. But HOW did they not recognise that track the first time?!!!!! They are young is probably why.
on 15 October 2017
Love it mostly included everything that happened in the book. The cast was a excellent choice reflecting the characters in the book very well.
on 10 October 2017
This is such a classic book, and re-reading it again has just made me fall in love with it all over again. If it somehow passed you by the first time around, i urge you to read it as soon as you can.
on 27 November 2017
So many intricate details that aren't shown on the film but a truly beautiful book. I felt like the characters were real.
on 5 August 2013
The central character Charlie uses letters in his "own words" to give the reader a look into his daily life as a teen in America,exploring school, drugs, sex and finding out the truth about himself. The book was easy to read and I couldn't put it down. This author's debut novel is a triumph.
on 8 September 2017
This book is very well written and is extremely relatable for all ages. The story line can get a bit boring at times but it picks right back up.
on 22 September 2017
Wonderful story that truly resonates.