Customer reviews

Hailey's War
Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 May 2017
sorry but I just don't like the way this author writes, love a good thriller but tried a few chapters and couldn't get into it AT ALL got the idea this was supposed to be slick but didn't work for me, im afraid it went in the bin wont be trying anymore from this author.
on 25 February 2013
I bought this reduced in a local supermarket, and was pleasantly surprised.

The protagonist, Hailey Cain, is a 23 year old bike messenger in San Francisco. Her life's not terrible, but it's not going anywhere either. She has a number of secrets that are hinted at from the very first page, and slowly revealed throughout the book.

The story, which revolves around Hailey's (initially reluctant) involvement in the story of a young Mexican girl chased by gangs, moved along at quite a clip. There were enough twists and turns to the plot that I couldn't see from the outset what the ending would be.

There was somewhat of a deus ex machina resolution to the 'nothing can save her now' chapter, but it fit well within the rest of the story. I liked the way that, although in the beginning some of Hailey's backstory seems extraneous, everything you're told throughout the book has a purpose as the story unfolds.

The voice, which is first person, reads well. Hailey is an engaging and likeable character, and I feel pulls you along with her story as she goes.

All in all, I will look out for other stories by this author, and not just when they're reduced either!
VINE VOICEon 2 January 2013
23-year-old Hailey Cain's been on a downward spiral since dropping out of West Point in her final year. After holing up with her cousin CJ (a successful music producer) in LA, a tragic accident forces her to move to San Francisco where she's working as a bike messenger when she gets a phone call from an old school friend, Serena (now head of a gang of Latina gangsters) asking for a favour. Serena wants her to accompany a young teenage girl called Nidia whose gangbanger boyfriend's just died over the border to a remote Mexican village.

Hailey agrees but as soon as they're over the border, they're ambushed by a group of men who take Nidia. Hailey's left for dead but against all the odds, Hailey survives and instead of walking away, decides to find out what happened to Nidia, even though the men who attacked her won't hesitate to finish the job if offered a second chance ...

Jodi Compton's thriller, the first in a series, is a tightly written novel with a brave and resourceful heroine but the plot relies heavily on contrivance to keep the story moving, which I rapidly found irritating.

Hailey's got a good first person voice and Compton does well at smoothly bringing in her family history and why West Point was so important to her. I liked her fondness for Latin and believed in the way she tried to lose herself after dropping out. However it soon becomes clear that every personal detail she's raising will become important later on, which robbed the plot of much of its tension. Hailey makes a point of not mentioning why she left West Point and although this is supposed to make the reader curious, I found that I was able to guess and I felt that when it was revealed, it was shoe-horned in too clumsily.

I actually found Serena to be more interesting than Hailey. Forced into the gang life, she's made it on her own terms and looks after her girls. I liked the way she cared about Hailey (albeit in gang terms) and Compton does well at showing her vulnerability and the disadvantages of the life she's chosen.

All in all, it's not a bad thriller but my attention did wane in the last quarter and I'm really not sure that I care enough about Hailey to want to read on.

Review copy from publisher.
on 3 June 2014
Having a small child, reading is something of a guilty pleasure that i dont get to do enough of but i picked this up and really enjoyed it to the point where i couldnt put it down!

Great storyline and interesting thriller.. enjoyed the writing style and felt engaged with the characters, plenty of twists and turns.. In fact, I read it in a couple of nights which is a first for me usually i dont get to the end of a book! Will definately have a look for other titles by this author!
on 19 December 2015
This is easily the best book I have read in a long while , page turner is a cliché but it really is,her other books are on my Christmas list!
on 7 October 2014
Good book ,really enjoyed reading this