on 6 June 2017
Highly recommended. I'm older than Mark and lived through a lot of what he talks about. When I was an actor, I also met a fair few members of the SWP. The book is hilarious as well as being an illuminating record of non-mainstream politics during the last thirty years.
My abiding memory of reading this is of laughing out loud on almost every page. I'm sorry (for his sake) that the book also charts the disintegration of his relationship with his partner.
I love his Radio 4 series (Lectures on Great Minds, and also particular towns - can't remember the actual titles). I'm full of admiration for the guy and wish him very well.
on 20 July 2017
Some parts were entertaining and informative but quite a bit was tedious with lots of descriptions of his failing marriage and time spent with the SWP ( socialist workers party ). Not as entertaining as his radio 4 programmes that l find really enjoyable.
on 2 June 2017
Amusing and insightful look at or modern world
on 26 May 2017
Mark Steel excellent
on 16 May 2017
Very enjoyable.
on 15 June 2017
Funny in rare parts. Political aspects way way out of date. Nothing more than a not funny description of his relationship breakdown really. Not recommended
on 2 May 2017
So,good,enjoying
on 17 August 2010
Read only because this was lent to me by a colleague, this is not normally a book I would choose to read. My perception is that these days books written by comedians who turn 40 and have a mid-life crisis are ten-a-penny and I though this would be one of those books filled with pedestrian observations of hitting the big Four-O.

Oh, how wrong I was.

What's Going On paints a poignant, honest and at times heartbreaking parallel between the breakup of Mark Steel's relationship and his decision to part with his beloved Socialist Workers' Party (SWP). He writes without any pretension and is funny, thoughtful and insightful. There are some rousing passages peppered throughout the book about effecting change; but more than anything the book highlighted the desperate futility of the fight against the evils of Capitalism which the quote I have used in the title of this review I think sums up beautifully.

Whether you are sympathetic with Mark Steel's politics or not; I challenge anyone not to be a little bit moved by this book. Go on!
on 16 March 2010
I first came across Mark Steel as a comedian on Radio 4. Later I read some of his journalism. And I have read other books by him. He is what used to be called a "loony lefty". If you are bothered about inequalities in the world, if you are worried about the increasing power of the State over your life, if you want a wry, oblique opinion on these matters then Steel is your man. He makes some telling points and he makes them by using bizarre analogies, which quite often had me laughing aloud.

That is one strand of the book. The other strand is the story of the break up of his relationship with his partner and his concern for their children. This is not funny but moving.

I would not recommend this book to a tory voter.
on 1 September 2008
I've read a couple of Mark Steel's other books, so I kind of knew what to expect. However, this has more depth and poignancy. That'll be due to age, I reckon (both his and mine).

His humour doesn't always work for me, but there is enough here to more than satisfy. Besides, I like it that his humour has a point to it and that, while he sometimes picks easy targets, he's never nasty or vicious. What I most liked was the sense of truth in his telling of how confusing things have become as he has got older. Also, the story of his marriage breakdown is told, as another reviewer mentions, withough bitterness and with due regard to privacy. Really not sure what one of the other reviewers means about him being 'grumpy'. Quite the opposite, I'd have said. Even when he is getting hacked off with the SWP, you can see there's more affection there than anything else.

Because of the honesty about the political changes he's seen, the book has contemporary relevance. Anyone who has had any experience of the left these past twenty years or so (and I'm on the pink, tepid, Labour Party edge of the left) will instantly get where he's coming from. Sometimes it helps to laugh, so long as you don't get cynical.

I loved it and would recommend it to anyone.