on 4 September 2016
I bought 'Uglies' when it was on offer and enjoyed it so much I bought the rest of the series straight away. The second book I thought wasn't as good as the first but this book I think just shows the weaknesses of the series as a whole. It's very telling that I finished the first 2 books in 2 days each but this one took over a week, mainly as I couldn't be motivated to pick it up and keep reading it.

The plots of each book follow the same format, Tally is in one state (Ugly, Pretty, Special) and loving it at the start of the book, she then finds out there is something wrong, she finds and loses a boy, falls out and makes up with Shay, discovers a darker plot by the government which changes the way she views the world and goes about trying to change it, usually by changing personality and letting everything happen all over again in the next book. Although this story has the most exciting plot of the series (the Diego and armoury parts of the story), the format is so tired that it just makes it uninteresting and predictable.

The main character of Tally goes through so many personality changes that we don't really know who we are meant to be routing for anymore. I particularly didn't like the way that self-harm was portrayed in any of the books. It's never really seen as a problem and in this book in particular there are some parts where it is heralded as the way to think clearly and solve problems - not something that I believe should be the moral in a Young Adult book.

There is another book to follow which I'd already bought, but it doesn't follow Tally's story line and although this may make it a better book, I'm not in any hurry to pick it up and start reading it just yet!
on 19 August 2016
I'm not sure of what happened... I understand the author was going into the mind of a brainless teen... but it went too far. The book was predominantly dull and annoying .. the change in the protagonist was just too much I couldn't even slightly get behind her.

I feel like this book really could of done with some switching POV's, I found myself far more interested in what Davis and the Smokies could be doing, or what Shay could be doing, that the rest of the time book was just felt at bit... "sad-making" or not "bubbly-making" or "brain-missing" or just straight up totally"bogus".

When I wasn't feeling irritated by the language ( I can't even hear the word "Bubbly" without feeling annoyed at the moment) there were some good moments.. the anthropological study and Shays Group and whatnot which stopped me from lemming this book, and I will read the next one, but make no mistake I am left less than impressed with this book
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 July 2016
I'm far too old to read young adult books but every now and then I get stuck into a YA series and get hooked. It happened with The Hunger Games and Divergent so I try to keep an open mind about the genre. A couple of years ago when the first in the series 'Uglies' was on a 99p Amazon offer, I gave it a try and from what I remember I didn't totally hate it. Seeing 'Pretties' on the same sort of discounted offer, I remembered that I had wanted to find out what happened to Tally after 'Uglies' ended and decided to channel my inner teen again.

I really shouldn't have done it.

This book is truly terrible and it was only my determination to get to the end and review it that kept me going.

Here we go again, it's another 'strong young woman against the world and the system' plot with a bit of mild snogging and a sort of love triangle. Apparently there should be heavy messages about self-harm but they weren't really obvious enough. Basically the entire cast could have cut themselves to pieces and I'm not sure I'd have cared.

The only thing I can say in its favour is that it gets less totally crap once you're through the first quarter of the book but it's still pretty lame even then. Teens aren't stupid and I can't really imagine they're into this sort of junk.
on 27 February 2017
It's been a couple of years since I read Uglies so I was worried I might be a bit lost when I picked this up, but fortunately the events of the previous book are cleverly revisited as part of the plot so I was saved! In fact due to Tally going through the Pretty operation she has forgotten much of what happened at the end of the previous book and in the time lapsed between books, so the reader learns much along with her.

Pretties stood up very well and didn't suffer from sequel syndrome at all. We learned lots more about Pretty society, how and why it exists, what it means to be Special Circumstances, and more besides. Tally grows up a lot and on the one hand comes into her own but on the other hand continues to underestimate the powers arrayed against her. So pretty much normal teenage stuff, I guess!

Very scary finale too, I'm excited to find out what happens next.
on 28 August 2016
I really enjoyed 'Uglies' - the first book in the series and so I downloaded the rest of the books straight away. Whilst I still enjoyed this installment, I don't think it is as good as the first one. The narrative voice change and the use of 'pretty language' was a nice technique - however I can see why other reviewers thought this was irratating. I think for me the most annoying thing was that although it's an interesting plot, it's very similar to the progression of the first book.

Whilst in the first book I applauded Mr Westerfeld on creating a main character that had some personality and I didn't like all of the time, having the same style in the second book made it a bit waring to continue. Tally goes through so many personality changes (purposefully of course) that you aren't really quite sure who you were meant to be rooting for. The self-harm references are also very odd, they aren't addressed as a problem as I would have expected for a Young Adult novel, but more as a way to a cure - not really a very good lesson to pass on to younger readers!
on 25 October 2014
I read Uglies a long time ago and from what I can remember, I loved it. Reading Pretties when it's been so long since I read the first book was pretty hard. The language used in the book takes some getting used to as the characters have their own slang, but once you're used to it, it doesn't seem all that strange. I enjoyed this book, but I mostly just wanted to get through it. I have picked up the next two books in the series and hope to read them pretty soon, but I'm worried that the books just repeat the same story lines throughout each book. Of course, I may finish the series and find that that isn't the case and that they're each unique but I guess we'll see.

The series is set in a world where everybody receives plastic surgery once they reach sixteen to make their faces perfect and they live within this protected community with awesome technology set far in the future. As this is a second book in a series, I won't give an individual synopsis for this book as it may spoil the first one, but I have reviewed Uglies if you want to go and check that out.

I'm excited to read more of the series as I find the world and social commentary so fascinating and I recommend everyone start reading it.
on 13 February 2013
After such good impressions of Uglies I couldn't wait to continue the series, I had to see how Tally and Shay's friendship turned out of all the drama Tally managed to cause, unfortunately what I couldn't handle was Pretty-talk, I hated it so much and I just wanted to tear my hair out. However the story line was good, I'll give you that. I loved watching Tally and Zane tackle curing themselves of being Pretty-minded with some bad side-effects on Zane part and their plan and break out to get to The New Smoke, and Tally stumbling across an interesting and not so guarded secret conservation of "Primitive Humans", an aspect of this story I didn't like was Shay, I felt so unconnected from her and all she needed to do was listen, I mean I know girls have their bitchy personalities and all but if Tally and Shay could have just spoken and listened to each other I'm sure things wouldn't have turned as nasty as they had and I know she was't really a big part of the story but it did really irritate me, along with Tally's conflict between Zane and David, it just got super frustrating and because it followed a similar plot outline to Uglies it lacked the freshness that I felt and I just didn't feel as attached throughout the book hence the lower rating.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 April 2012
I think the general consensus among people who have read this is that it is not as good as 'Uglies'. It is more of the same really, and I found it very VERY slow to begin with but, once Tally starts adventuring again, I really liked it! I think I preferred this one to 'Uglies' because it's much more sinister and dark and frustrating...which I know are not everyone's cup of tea but I like those elements!

Tally is a bit annoying in this one though. One of the things I likes about the first one was the way she was so adamant she wanted to be pretty, just like everyone else that lived there; she wasn't particularly gifted or special. She was immersed in the ideology of the place she lived in and was very much a product of society. In this one, she is portrayed as some amazing gifted self-curing superwoman which did annoy me quite a lot. I preferred it when she was more normal.

From page 200 onwards I loved the book. Until that point I had been flagging, reading 20 pages here and there, never really getting properly into it and just looking forward to finishing it so I could move onto another book! However, as soon as I hit the 200 page point I suddenly got hooked! I found it really exciting and I loved how where in the first half things had seemed too easy for Tally, suddenly she faced real problems and real dangers and things became much more difficult. Maybe I just wanted to punish her for forgetting David...I kindof love David. The love triangley aspect of Tally having to sort of choose between David and Zane didn't really do it for me but mehh when it's young adult you come to expect that sort of thing! Girl is so desirable two guys fight over her...who didn't want that when she was 14!? I know I did.

Overall...I thought I wasn't going to bother with the rest of the Uglies series when I first started this book but now I really want 'Specials'! I loved the ending and want to know what happens next! Yes I know it will be formulaic and another version of what has already happened in the first two books but...you know...sometimes formulas are GOOD....mc squared...that one is important...I think. JUST KEEP TELLING MYSELF THAT IT'S OK TO LIKE THIS.

EDIT: I have been reading other reviews about the mutilation aspect of this book and I wanted to write a quick note about that. It does seem very strange that to feel more 'bubbly' which is another way of saying 'feel more alive/feel more about the world/have a better clarity of mind' you can cut yourself. This is a weird message. I guess the author is trying to think of things that would cause adrenalin like climbing tall towers, kissing boys, getting tattoos...but it does seem strange that cutting yourself is given power in this novel. Although the main characters see it as wrong, I still don't think it should've been included.(less)
on 22 March 2012
I read the first book in this series a couple of months ago and had been meaning to read the sequel for some time. Having just finished and really enjoyed the Hunger Games books, I was in the mood for more YA dystopia and decided to give this a go. Disappointingly, this book seemed weaker than both its predecessor, Uglies, and the Hunger Games, which I've often seen it compared to.

I very much got the feeling that it was definitely for teens. Indeed, some of the rather repetitive Hoverboarding sections almost felt like something that would be more at home in an actual kid's book. It's a shame that it didn't quite come together, because the premise - everyone has an operation to turn them beautiful, but also pliant and non-questioning - was an interesting one, but whilst it kept my attention in book one, here, less seemed to be done with it.

Part of the problem was that life actually seemed really quite pleasant for most people (racism, anorexia, body image problems and environmental issues have been got rid of, no one is poor or hungry, the totalitarian government rarely seem to do anything very evil other than stop people rebelling) so unlike in other similar books where things are clearly horrific, it was hard to feel any fervour for Tally, the main character's, attempts to rebel against or bring down the system.

The first part, with its introduction to "Pretty" life was rather fun even if the endless slang got trying, but it trailed off from there. Most of the supporting cast from the first book were all but abandoned, with David getting about two scenes towards the end, Peris being replaced by someone called Zane as potential pretty love interest and Shay going from shallow to almost a villain figure.

I'd only really recommend if you really loved the first book and are actually in the target age group. I'm still debating whether the give book three a try or let the series go.
on 21 August 2016
This book Pretties is a fab sequel to uglies a great book for ages 12 and above. I would recommend to read Uglies first otherwise it is difficult to grasp the storyline to pretties. The only thing I personally disliked was there was a lot of " oh I love your dress" and " you are like so bubbly" Apart from this Pretties is full of adventure. Here is a quick summary of Uglies in case you have forgotten: Tally really wants to turn pretty, just like her best friend Peris. After playing an ugly trick tally meets Shay, in her spare time Shay runs away to the smoke a place of uglies! The day Tally and Shay are supposed to turn Shay runs away to the smoke it is Tally's job to journey to the smoke to save Shay but when she meets her first true love dies she really want to go back? Pretties is a great sequel 5 stars all round!! Remember to read Specials next!