I devoured this book and was left in a book hangover state after finishing it with the characters still on my mind. The book cover is absolutely gorgeous and what drew me in at first, but later it was the characters who stole my heart.

Perfect Chemistry is a book on star crossed lovers Brittany Ellis the perfect good girl and Alex (Alejandro) Fuentes, the bad boy affiliated gang member of the Latino Bloods. Both starting their senior year at high school. They follow their own crowds with Brittany being Miss Popular along with her hot football player boyfriend Colin, earning them the perfect golden couple status versus Alex who is known to constantly lead the bad crowd and land himself in trouble. I absolutely adored Alex and Brittany individually and together as a couple their chemistry felt so palpable and hot.

Alex is cocky, unafraid, protective, walks with swagger, is sexy and a badass. The energy he permeates around him had me addicted to his character and I could not get enough of him. Brittany is sweet, caring, a hard worker who’s trying to balance her school and home life. She has a lot of responsibilities on her shoulders with no one to share her burden. Forced to work together on a chemistry project leads to not only sparks flying between Brittany and Alex, but also taunts, flirtation, games, ruffling each others feathers, developing feelings, exposure to new people, cultures, jealousy, pain, letting barriers down, danger, loss, heartache, love, second chances and a future.

This book is rich in portraying real life issues facing kids growing up in two different environments. I felt the divide between the rich and poor status, the need to protect loved ones, the life and dangers of being a gang member, the inner battles of peer pressure and going against the crowd, putting up a front to please others and letting go of fears to experience real love.

Perfect Chemistry is full of urban vibes and is a great teen ya/na romance book. I loved reading this, Alex’s brothers Carlos and Luis were cute. I could have done without the loss and thought the author didn’t do the character enough justice. His scene at the end just felt rushed and the epilogue was twenty-three years too late for me to appreciate the significance of the name dedication, and I needed more Alex and Brittany! Due to this and the poor editing with grammatical mistakes i.e. whole words separated with a space lead me to rate this four stars. Besides these issues I adored this book and will re-read it. Now I’m desperate to one click Carlos and Luis’s books so I can stay in this book heaven bubble.
on 8 August 2016
To be honest I think I need to be at least 20 years younger to give this book the review it deserves, for me it is a very YA book. Having said that I didn’t find the story that bad. This book reminded me a little of Beautiful Disaster (I think this story was published first) where bad boy meets good girl. It is very cliché, and been done before but it is it’s own story. The dialogue is very high school yes (they are only teens after all), but Brittany and Alex have some very grown up issues going on in their lives, particularly Alex, and I quite enjoyed the way the author dealt with these issues. I found the characters relationship quite grown up. The gang related issue in this book is a very serious one, but I think the author does a good job at remembering her target audience and not making the book too violent or intense.

There was depth to our Romeo and Juliet and I really enjoyed the romance between them, I thought it was very genuine and sweet; just right for a younger reader. Some YA books out there can be so over the top with emotional baggage and dirty sex. Overall not a bad read, I've read a lot worse in this genre. Surprisingly I did enjoy it.
on 4 September 2012
Perfect Chemistry is about a 18 year old Brittany Ellis whose life seems perfect to everyone. She's the only one that knows it's everything but perfect. And when she is forced to be partners with Alex Fuentes, a boy from mexico and a gang member, her 'perfect' life starts to unravel. Alex is a feared bad boy, so when his friend makes a bet that Alex can't lure Brittany into sleeping with him, he takes the bet as a challenge and thinks nothing of it. Little did he know that the feelings he acted slowly became the reality. But when the gang slowly turns on him, will he be able to protect Brittany and his family? Will their growing feelings be enough to keep them together when the world is determined to tear them apart?

I have to say, at first i wasn't sure i would like this book. But omigod, after 12 pages i called my self a genius for listening to people who recommend it and telling me to buy it. I was so happy and glad. This book is probably one of my very favorites ( and that's hard). This book is so realistic and so awesome!

The characters were described and developed really well, and i felt like i really new them. I loved how Brittany and Alex changed at the end. There were many hot, romantic and hilarious scenes between them that just made want to read till the very end. I hate books without humor, no matter how good they are. So the humor pretty much did it for me.

The beginning ( 1 - 10 pages) were a bit boring, but still funny.

Perfect Chemistry is a unique book that you won't be able to put down. I laughed so many times i lost count. Funny, romantic, full of surprises and with a lot of action. Love, love, love it!
on 3 February 2011
Warning: This review is going to be full of gush and girly swooning.

Have I ever told you how much I struggle when reviewing books that I'm in love with? It's kind of like criticising the person who you've fallen head over heels for. It's just not easy.

Perfect Chemistry is centred around Brittany Ellis and Alex Fuentes (*swoon*) who are partnered together in Chemistry class. The pair couldn't be more different.

Brittany is a blonde, gorgeous cheerleader who is dating the school's football captain and lives on the rich side of town.

Alex has all the typical dark features of a Mexican American, shares a tiny room with his two younger brothers and is a member of the local gang.

I loved both of them. They both had huge flaws, and they both hated the way they lived, yet kept that a tightly wrapped secret. For being complete opposites, they sure had a lot in common. I loved reading about their personal growth - which this novel was full of - and I loved reading about the growth of their relationship.

The typical good girl meets bad boy plot makes up the foundations of this book, but it is so much more than that. This is the ultimate love story. Think Romeo/Juliet, but ten times better - much more realistic and no suicide.

Simone Elkeles has one of the most compelling writing styles that I have ever read. It's captivating and beautiful, and so thrilling that I was kept on the edge of my seat throughout the whole book. There's no slow starts or filler scenes in this book!

I loved the fact that what she wrote was so realistic. She's done her research into gang life, how Alex would have lived and what his status would have been in the gang. And the way that Alex and his friends spoke was brilliantly done - with so much Spanish thrown in! Some of you may already know how much I love the Spanish language, but if not then you'll probably know now. I love it THIS *stretches arms out to both sides* much. Beautiful. I think that this is probably one of the more important factors which made me fall in love with Alex and this book. Yes, I'm obsessed.

Overall, this is an incredible book, and a must read for any young adult reader or blogger. I will honestly start begging you to read this if you haven't already done so. Alice, I'm talking to you!
My usual kind of books are fantasy books. However, I really fancied a change so I asked all the members for Love Fantasy Novels and most of them told me I had to read Perfect Chemistry. And I am so glad I did. I have never been hooked onto a non fantasy book from page one and I really feel in love.

Perfect Chemistry is a story of star-crossed love, gangs, high school and falling in love with the wrong person. Its take you on an emotional rollercoaster and will having you laughing and crying even long after finishing the book (yes I was meaning me, I sat for about 10 mins after it still crying with sadness and happiness).

The two main characters are a real delight to read. Brittany is a "Popular" girl that has everything that she wants, Or so it may seem. Alex is a the gangmember who you fall hopelessly in love with and hope he get the type life he deserves. They are both very strong characters that really made me thankful for life I have.

Simone really is a genius with words. Her writing just beautiful and flows really easily. Even when she is writing some things in spanish and even though don't know any spanish it still didn't take away how the story flowed. She really has did her homework on the story line. She tackles a hard topic with the gangs but manages to capture every aspect of it.

I now I have just order Rules of Attraction and I am looking forward to Chain Reaction when it comes out. And also, Thank you Simone for introducing me to a genre I never thought I would like!
on 21 August 2017
Item description:
The item came in perfect condition and safely packaged. The quality of the cover is not very strong, it is thin and bent easily. The paper inside is thin but okay quality. The writing size and font is easy to read and overall the item is good.
Story rating:
THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE. It wasn't just a mushy teen romance book but also dealt with more serious issues. The character development was flawless and I'm so happy I read this book! one of my favorite books! 5 stars
on 19 January 2012
My daughter was gieven this when she was 13. Occasionally I read some of her books just to see what sort of stuff she is reading. After enjoying a different teen 'tester' read, she handed me this and suggested I read it too. Having thought it was aimed at slightly younger teens I was initially a little surprised at some of the content but I have to say it was a very good read and I did not move until I had reached the end. Some things were a little annoying; the sudden change of heart by Brittany and the frequent chnges from Spanish to English but it did not detract overall from the story which was a good job of the typical West Side Story type of tale. Definitely a nice change from all the vampire rubbish currently overflowing from bookshops lately. I would suggest that this is maybe more for age 15+ but it would depend on the child obviously. Well worth a read.
on 21 January 2017
I was looking forward to reading this book because I thought it sounded interesting and my type of book, but it turns out the while book was just a confusing novel because there was another language mixed in at the guys point of view and they mixed both of the main characters point of views in one chapter so I didn't know who's point of view it was. Over all, arrived early and cheap but not necessarily my type of book.
on 15 June 2015
Weak dialogue plagued with bad spelling and erratic plot - we skip weeks at a time and gloss over significant events in an awkward, obvious "Remember when we did AB and C and it was cool" type 'catch up'. The basic premise is nice - although stolen in an oddly confessed manner from 'Grease'. Definitely one to avoid. Were these rave reviews bought or is the average teen reader really so starved of solid romance?
on 25 April 2012
I know, I know, it sounds totally cliché... But I have to be honest here: This book really took my breath away. I hadn't felt that way since opening the first page of Twilight (the first book in the Saga, let's be clear). I read an editorial review describing the "breathlessness of the first kiss," and this is exactly what Perfect Chemistry inspired in me.
Yes, the end is somewhat rushed and breaks the nice flow of the book. Yes, Alex and Brittany are star-crossed lovers who are paired up (against their will) in a chemistry class. Yes, you can't help comparing some of the themes and overall context with works like Twilight or West Side Story, or even Romeo & Juliet (Baz Luhrmann's movie will be closer than Shakespeare's Verona tale).
But, hey, no story out there is completely new.
What matters (to me, at least) is the truth of the characters, and therefore the truth of the author who created them. You can't miss Simone Elkeles's sincerity in her written words, in particular those spoken by Alex. You can't miss how much of her heart she put in telling that story. And I guess, that's what makes a great book.
So HURRAH to Simone Elkeles for creating something so breathtaking (without the help of any vampire or werewolf). And HURRAH to the star of the show... Alex Fuentes!