on 18 August 2017
Great read would definitely recommend to anyone
on 27 July 2017
brilliant series, more please
on 4 August 2017
AMAZING - I got addicted to this and read the whole thing as fast as I could! Highly recommended.
on 4 July 2010
I read this series roughly 5 or so years ago (I'm 21 now) but still it remains very close to my heart. The whole series has a dark edge to it - unexpected twists and turns consistently pushing the reading to the edge of their seat. The only slight draw back would be the main character (Jenny) and her failure to realise how wonderful Julian truly is (Ok, so I am admittedly very bias on this account.)

\L.J.Smith writes Julian's character beautifully - making his character so charming, dangerous with a vulnerable side to him that can't help but make the reader sympathise much more with him rather than the rival love interest Jenny's boyfriend, Tom.

This series has given me many a day dream surrounding the ever elusive Julian. The books provide great food for thought and I really do think that this (along with the Dark Vision series) is L.J.Smith's best work. I'd arguably say it's much better then Twilight in ever way. I'd certainly recommend it - particularly to teenage girls.
on 10 September 2010
As a lover of all things paranormal/supernatural, thought I'd give this teen book a try. I'm actually 37 (!!) but still a kid inside and have enjoyed the recent adaptation of Smith's Vampire Diaries and a huge fan of Twilight. Have read numerous other authors of teen books. This is a very good, pacy read. If you like Jumanji and Zathura - this is the book for you - you never know what's round the corner!
on 12 December 2010
I have most of Smith's books and this one is far by the best series!I finished it in a couple of days it was so gripping!Jenny is a strong heroine,not like annoying whiny Bella from Twilight!

Not giving away any spoilers!Suitable for teens and up!:D
on 22 April 2012
Having just finished the Twilight Series I was looking for a similar sort of series but without the Vampires and Werewolves. I had read the Forbidden Game Books about 15 years ago and since they were a good price (£4.99 for all 3 books) I decided to give them a try. Although they are aimed at young adults I would say they are also suitable for adult reading too as I really enjoyed them.
Jenny buys a game for her boyfriend Tom's birthday party but what she doesn't realise is that this game is real and that she and her friends are about to become trapped in the game where they must defeat Julian The Shadow Man. Julian's rules are simple. If they win they can leave and if they don't Jenny will become his forever....
All three books in the series are here and I enjoyed reading them and was sorry to finish the last book.
L.J. Smith is a fantastic author and I loved the characters.
on 21 September 2010
Well, this is now the second book I have read by LJ Smith and I have to admit I found this one even more addictive than the first one. Such and interesting plot and very edge of the seat stuff. When I first started reading it I thought it was a little too similar a concept to Jumanji but that was soon shaken out of me! The main character Jenny not only has to face her friends and her own worst nightmares, but throughout the story she is seduced by the almost irresistable charms of Julian, a very beautiful, mysterious and character who has fallen desperately in love with her and will go to any lengths to make her his.

I have to say that the ending was unexpected and somewhat sad so you may need to keep some tissues handy when your nearing the end of the book!!

LJ Smith has done it again. I can't wait to read another book by this author!!!!
on 14 November 2010
Like many, I bought this book after the great reviews left here.

The forbidden game seemed to be just the kind of book i like - and I was not dissappointed. The first book (and the following two) in the bind-up was so engaging and compelling that I couldn't bear to put it down.

The characters are all likeable - mostly. I did find Tom a bit annoying as the books progressed, although I do feel that he improved throughout the book, and became more of the boyfriend he should have been at the start. Oddly, I felt that Julian was the most interesting character, and wished that there was more of him and that the reader could have understood him even further.

The bind-up of all three books was a good idea, but I found it almost tiring to read all three back to back - seeing as all three are full-length books. Therefore, I decided to read a different book between the hunter and the chase, and the chase and the kill. This allowed me to read the books with refreshed eyes, and eager to see what the pages had in store for me.

The plot of the books were original and exciting, and all three were written exceedingly well by L J Smith. I would reccommend this book to anybody who likes the supernatural/sci-fi genres, but I would encourage you to have a break between each book, as otherwise the books can become somewhat heavy - this was a trilogy after all.
on 11 May 2011
Finishing this series gave me that satisfied and sad feeling you get when you close an amazing book and think "there's no more". I stumbled upon it completely randomly, and I'm so, so glad I gave it a chance. The premise seemed really intriguing and after seeing a lot of positive reviews, I decided to dive in. And what a journey.

Because that's what this trilogy is: a journey in another world made of shadows, nightmares and secrets. The first book's atmosphere is secretive, sensual and creepy. Smith's prose is really good, not in an obvious way like Laini Taylor's, but more subtly, like a story that creeps under your skin and makes you remember the monsters and uncertainties of your childhood. Book after book, the author weaves a fast-paced plot packed with adventure and mystery, with a side of delicious romance and heart-warming friendship.

About the main love interest: I don't want to give away too much, but I thought the romance was very, very well done. Smith somehow manages to make us both hate and root for Julian, while still keeping a healthy and lovable boyfriend. No weak alternative here. Oh, and Julian... Sigh. He's both irresistible and impossible, with this dark, calculating edge tinged with softness and a hint of something not quite good, but promising. It draws you in and leaves you begging for more. He's a very well-developed character and I'm really happy we got to know more about him and his side of the story in book 3.

Also, I adore the female lead. She's not particularly strong at the beginning of the book, but she's not the weak damsel in distress type by any means. You watch her blossom and evolve during the whole story and it's a beautiful thing. She's so relatable and lovely and she has this little something, this innocent brightness about her... I can completely understand what Julian/Tom/everyone sees in her. I want her to be my best friend. Someone point her to me in real life, please (this is the moment you can tell Lamia has lost her mind, which is further proven by the fact that she's talking about herself in the third person).

While this trilogy is mainly about paranormal adventures, it's also a very good coming of age story. Every character has their own traits and are useful to the storyline. I know each and every one of them, which is definitely not something I can say for most YA series (empty best friend syndrome, anyone?). As the plot moves along, you witness the characters getting closer, falling apart and putting themselves back together again. You get more insight into their personality and as relationships are made and unmade, you watch them grow and mature, and close the last book with a satisfied sigh and a sense of pride. You feel close to them. It's wonderful. This book is amazing, plain and simple.

In case you couldn't tell, I'd highly recommend this trilogy to anyone. It's a page-turner and all the books are short and succinct, very easy to read. What are you waiting for?