Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 September 2011
Having recently purchased '1001 children's books you must read before you grow up', I realised that there is a lot of fantastic children's literature out there that I never got round to reading when I was a child, even though I was an avid reader then, as I am now. So, having loved the lemony Snicket series of unfortunate events ( so good I read them twice, and I'm not joking!)I thought the Spiderwick Chronicles would reflect the same type of attention grabbing storylines and characters, and I wasn't disappointed! I couldn't put it down! For three days straight I read this book, and the stories are brilliant, not too short, and the fantastic creatures that Simon, Jared and their older sister Mallory encounter will enthrall both children and adults. It's excellent value for money, but it doesn't include beyond the Spiderwick chronicles. That said, however, this has been one of the most entertaining books I've read in a while, and I'm a Jo Nesbo fan! Also, the illustrations are beautiful, and this edition includes lost chapters and a whole host of bonus material. Utterly brilliant, and every bit deserving of its five stars!
This is a lovely hardback edition, containing the five original Spiderwick Chronicles novels: The Field Guide, The Seeing Stone, Lucinda's Secret, The Ironwood Tree and The Wrath of Mulgarath. Both my children (aged eight and six) like this series of books about three children, Mallory, Jared and Simon Grace, who go to live in their aged Aunt Lucinda's house, after their parents divorce. The author uses the house, and the woods outside, to great effect. When Jared finds a book, "Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You", full of fantastical creatures, he unearths a world he could not possibly have imagined and the children find themselves discovering boggarts, goblins, sinister trolls and other mythical creatures.

As well as the five books in the series, this volume also has some extras, including lost chapters and a Spiderwick Gallery. It is a lovely volume, which would make any child a lovely present and is also great value for money.
on 1 February 2011
I gave this book to my 8 year old son for his birthday, but as I had never read it I had a quick skim read and felt that my 10 year old daughter would probably enjoy it too. We read it aloud altogether and all thoroughly enjoyed it.It brings together fantasy and reality very realistically. The story is exciting and really gripping at times. My kids were begging to carry on for another chapter way after sleep time. The illustration is also wonderful and straight away had my daughter drawing elves in the style of the book illustrations. After reading the book we watched the film, which, while very good in many ways, is not in our opinions a patch on the book.
The Spiderwick Chronicles is one of those series that has been around for ages, and it's one that I've been meaning to read but never have. I'm not quite sure why I waited so long to meet all the fantastic creatures and characters featured in the story, as it's right up my street: I love little people, fantasy stories and faeries, and all these and more are in The Spiderwick Chronicles. There are also numerous brilliant illustrations that basically just rock. I love seeing a story come to life through artwork, and this is a great example of that!

This book tells the story of three siblings - Jared, Simon and Mallory - who discover a world of faerie when they stumble on their great-uncle Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide. In it is information about all the creatures of faerie, and it turns out to be a very wanted treasure among its subjects. They all want it because it holds the secrets of their species, and they'll stop at nothing to get it. Eek!

In fantasy books, my favourite characters are very rarely the humans. How can I choose a normal boy or girl over a brownie or an elf?! I can't, I don't know how. My favourites from The Spiderwick Chronicles have to be Thimbletack the brownie and Hogsqueal the Hobgoblin. Why, you ask? Well, it's simple really: they're small, they're cute, they wear funny hats, have cool names and are brave and willing to help. Characters like this make me wish they were real. I'd love to come home one day and find a teeny little brownie taking two mice for a walk on a lead, or find a grumpy Hobgoblin getting up to no good. I would never go to work again!

The Spiderwick Chronicles is written for younger readers, but really, who cares? It doesn't detract from the story in any way, though I do wish each book was longer. I could have read so much more about the world of Spiderwick: it's fun and exciting, and almost as magical as something like The Hobbit. If, like me, you haven't read this series but would like to, I would highly recommend this omnibus edition. It has extra content at the back, including concept art and lost chapters, both of which are an added bonus to an already accomplished five-volume book. I'm really glad I finally read it, and I'm going to hunt out some of the companions that were subsequently published. I've got to prepare myself for the day when I finally find a faerie in my house!

4.5/5
on 2 September 2013
It's a amazing book, all 5 of the first series in one book! saves getting any lost etc and saves space!
I gave it 5 stars coz it's really an amazing book
I have only currently read the first one and halfway through the second!
but I can't put it down!
I highly recommend not for very young readers though as some parts are quite gruesome It's more aimed at 10 years and up but I'm an 24 and It isn't too childish for me!
on 25 July 2013
i loved this book!the extra notes and tony's sketchbook were a wonderful addition, as a concept artist i appreciated it a lot!
the plot is amazing as well as the illustrations!
highly recommended to children of all ages! :)
on 26 May 2014
Great story, great characters. My one caveat is that you'll want to read it yourself to kids under the age of 10/12 as there's some swearing and you may want to re-word some of the references to the main characters' parents' divorce - depending how idyllic a world your kids live in.
on 21 May 2012
I have to say that I love it. Combining all the books into one and the illustrations is a plus. Could also make as a perfect gift. Dispatch is quick and product arrived in perfect condition. Hence the five stars.
on 5 April 2012
If you like stories about fairies, dwarves and dragons, this might not be for you. If you are sensitive and prone to nightmares, this might not be for you. If, however, you thirst for adventure stories that skip along, pulling you into them; if you like dark tales of goblins and power-hungry ogres; if you aren't too young, this will definitely appeal.

I bought this for my 8 year old. I read it first primarily because I adore children't fiction but also because my child has a graphic imagination and tends to rerun terrifying images and 3 o'clock in the morning. Needless to say I will be hiding this book ... hiding it in a secret drawer where he can discover it and thrill to it as I have but not just yet.

Spiderwick Chronicles: The Completely Fantastical Edition
on 30 July 2013
Having used this as a theme in my teaching job, it was very useful in bringing out the artistic and fantastical side of children's learning. The imagination of the writer amazed me and the children were really drawn into the writers world. Definitely worth putting in the family library.