Customer reviews

Barry the Fish with Fingers
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 8 May 2015
This is a cheerful book with a clearly expressed but not heavy-handed message. (MILD SPOILER, BUT I'LL TRUST YOU NOT TO TELL ANY KIDS.) When Barry shows up with his swell fingers it steals the limelight from Puffy, the big-bubble-blowing fish, who gets all envious and mopey. Barry has fun showing off his fingers to the delight of the fishy crowd, and then an exciting event leads him to a reconciliation with the bubble-blower. The ending is a particularly clever resolution in which everyone is a winner.

The pictures are bright and appealing. Barry's fingers are stylized, not creepy. (I kept thinking about "fish fingers" on the school lunch menu. That's probably not the exact teachable moment the author was aiming for, but what do I know.) The story is light and zippy. Actually, for a picture book we get a lot of story - Barry's whole fingers thing, the way he connects with old bubble-blower, the way the story wraps up. That's a lot of action, but none of it seems inaccessible to a little reader. And there are a dozen mild positive lessons to be drawn from the tale.

The upshot? This feels like a fun, silly and pretty upbeat treat for reading time, and it's certainly a book an adult reading to youngsters could have fun with. A nice find.
on 18 July 2017
Love Sue Hendra books. My two daughters will read and re-read all her books. Another fun, well illustrated book.
on 8 July 2014
NOt going to be one we revisit too often as the story is a bit lame compared to Norman the Slug
on 20 May 2016
Ok. Not as great as Norman.
on 20 October 2014
Sweet story, but formatting on iPad means one has to tap each page to enlarge to see it, which is rather frustrating.
on 4 March 2013
not worth the money no use for my child as the text is too small and in all the ha book was just one screen on the kindle what a con would not recomend to anybody . this is my worst buy for the kindle to date rubbish.
on 19 July 2017
Quite a short story but the message within the story is good and about all playing together rather than feeling left out
on 5 January 2010
I love the witty story and illustrations in this children's book. I first read this to my daughter when she was 19 months old. She loves the colourful pages and the story is great as you can be overly dramatic, which makes the story such fun to read out loud!

I only had two slight problems with the book, which caused me to knock off one star from my review.
1. Puffy has a slight attitude problem when he becomes jealous of Barry, and uses the words "hate" and "stupid". So I find myself explaining to her how rude and grumpy Puffy is every time I read this particular page.
2. When the crate falls, the story doesn't expressly explain that there are musical instruments falling into the sea. Older children can read between the lines, but for my toddler, I had to break from the story telling at this point and explain what is in the pictures so the story made sense.

Even with my slight gripes, we still love the book! Just the picture of Barry on the cover makes me laugh. Children all around must now have a very odd image of how fish fingers are made.
33 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 December 2011
I remember the first time I read The Gruffalo, I remember the first time I read The Highway Rat (He's a thief!) and I will remember the first time I read Barry The Fish With Fingers.

The combination of beautiful illustration and a storyline bordering on the epic make for a fantastic journey through the world of a fish with fingers.

I can see a bright future for Barry. He has a real prescence about him and just seems to leap off the page(more so in the pop up version apparently). I really hope Sue Hendra puts her Barry thinking fingers on and gets to work and some more great fishy tales!

A must buy for any age and a great present to receive.
on 26 August 2009
We bought this book (from another shop) for our nephew, and we think that it is great. The book is a very good size and the illustrations are clear, and I'm sure that our nephew will also be entertained.