Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 September 2008
This book is based on same premise as the successful Aliens love underpants from the same author/illustrator duo, that small children will find the incongruity between everyday pants and imaginary creatures wearing them very funny, and of course they do. But whereas many follow up books are more of the same, this has a very different story which, in my opinion, is the stronger of the two (though no less silly).
Bright amusing illustrations of dinosaurs dressed in flamboyant and colourful pants accompany decent rhyming verse:
"Triceratops was happy, wearing pants on every horn,
Til Styracosaurus snatched them, and they ended up all torn."
Pants are so prized that squabbles erupt and it's dinosaur underwear anarchy as they fight to the death.
[If you are a prehistory stickler, please note that in this story leopard-skin-pant wearing cavemen co-exist with the Jurassic giants which is archaeologically incorrect and the fluffy pink knickers may not accurately reflect the fashions of the dinosaur era.]
22 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 July 2008
My daughter loved "Alien's love underpants" and while this isn't quite as good, it is entertaining and the illustrations are great. My 3 year old has a real sense of humour and finds these books hillarious
on 3 February 2009
I bought this for my nephew for Christmas, but had a lot of fun showing it to my grown-up friends before wrapping it! Great illustrations, the story fairly bounces along. Recommended for reading with children, and a good read for young readers finding their own reading skills.
on 17 September 2015
Being neither an author, nor a literary critic, read into this what you will, but I do not like this series of books at all.

My daughter loves them, and as such I am stuck with them, but to me the writing just does not flow. When you are reading them they seem that the authors have tried really hard to get words to rhyme, but it's more the phrasing of the book / paragraphs that I have an issue with.

I've taken to having to change some of the words in each of the books when I am reading them to make it flow better and make more sense. If you can avoid them then do - buy Meg and Mog or something like that!
I bought this book along with the other two 'underpants' books for my son who although only 10 months old at the moment loves his bedtime stories and especially books with bright colours. The books are brilliant with beautifully bright and colourful illustrations and funny stories that I enjoy reading (even for the twentieth time!) and I'm sure my son will enjoy them as much if not more as he gets older. Brilliant set of books for any little boy or girl.

Aliens in Underpants Save the World
Aliens Love Underpants!

Edit 15/11/15:- We have been reading the underpants series of books for a few years now and my son and now my daughter both love them. The Dinosaurs Love Underpants book is chosen very regularly for a bedtime story by my son as he loves dinosaurs and tells all about the mischief the dinosaurs have with their underpants and is very funny still for the 500th time plus!
on 22 August 2009
Bought this for my 3 and 6 year olds and it was an instant hit. Solves the problem of how the dinosaurs became extinct - they were too busy fighting for the cavemen's underpants! The rhyming verse is great, and the drawings are wonderful. Highly recommended.
My 6 year old has just managed to read this aloud to my 4 year old (just with a little help with the Dinosaur names) and they were both laughing hysterically at the fabulous story. There are lots of brilliantly hilarious illustrations in this very large paperback edition to keep young children amused too.

The front cover is great and the 'Dinosaurs Love Underpants' is in sparkly blue lettering. It is a gift giving quality edition.

There are 24 main pages of story with a 4 line self contained poem on every other page. They have great rhyming and rhythm and together they form a brilliant story explaining a funny theory of why the dinosaurs became extinct.

The poem starts:

Dinosaurs were all wiped out,
A long way back in history.
No one knows quite how or why,
Now this book solves the mystery....

It all began when cavemen,
Felt embarrassed in the nude,
So someone dreamt up underpants,
To stop them looking rude.

And so it goes on in a really entertaining story.

Highly recommended.
If you ever wanted to know the real reason the dinosaurs died out, this is the book for you.

Brightly illustrated with wonderfully amusing drawings and a memorable rhyming text, this book tells the story of the battle between first the cavemen and the dinosaurs for pants supremacy, and then the battle between the dinosaurs themselves.

My two year old son absolutely adores this book and roars with laughter at all the ridiculous pictures. There is something inherently funny about the word pants, which always sends him into peals, but convulses him when added to pictures of very fierce monsters struggling to run about in very tight pants.

Superb!
on 25 November 2014
My lil' one adores the Claire Freedman books (especially the Underpants one) and even at 6 she still like to read them and have a little giggle. Wonderfully colourful drawings and lovely rhymes enhance the reading experience. Great story which stimulates a child's imagination. Would definitely recommend and I bought the 'Underpants series' for my child when she was only 3.
on 3 January 2016
Last minute Christmas gift needed for a 3 year old boy. This footed the bill perfectly as luck would have it, he had others in the series already and loved them!!!! Good price and great delivery time.