Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 June 2011
I have been following Mireille's guidelines from both of the previous books for just over 2 years. I lost 1.5 stone thanks to the first book and have kept it off without any great effort. I loved the recipes in the other books, so when I saw this cookbook, I snapped it up.

The book is full of anecdotes which is very much Mireille's style. I like this but even if you don't, the recipes stand on their own. And very tasty they are too.

They are easy to prepare, offer some new ideas which I hadn't come across elsewhere (especially for sauces for pasta) and don't have a whole list of complicated ingredients which are difficult to obtain. Everything is available from the supermarket (although I am sure she would suggest you go to the farmers' market instead). Most of the recipes serve 4 but they scale up or down very well and are quick to make. I haven't cooked everything in the book, but everything I have tried has been delicious.

I like her meal plans and ideas for pairing foods together, along with some information about champagne (she works for Veuve). All in all, an excellent book. Mine is already covered with splashes of tomato and olive oil, like all of my favourite cookbooks.
on 5 May 2010
Throw away the meal replacement shakes, diet pills and calorie counters. Mireille Guiliano introduces the painless way to control and lose weight. For the French the problem of excess pounds is a philosophy and a way of life; it's about portion control rather than denial- eat a little of whatever you fancy. Plus exercise and other commonsense rules.

Here Mireille shares a wide selection of simple good-tasting recipes that are easy to prepare, taste delicious and are guaranteed not to exceed your calorie limit. Yes, you can have Panna Cotta, Chocolate Mousse, Chocolate Madeleines and Spaghetti Carbonara.

To kick-start your new way of life Mireille suggest her Magical Cabbage Soup, detox and metabolism re-setter.

Throughout the book, there is plenty of advice, tips and stories written in Mireille's inimitable concise and entertaining style.

I absolutely love this book and I'm sure you will too.
on 11 September 2011
The introduction is a good read and most of the recipes are useful for a cholesterol controlled diet, but some of the recipes are a bit fiddly for everyday cooking.
on 27 September 2012
Just to point out, the reviewer who wrote 'French?' on the 13th September 2012 misses the point that the author, Mireille Guiliano, is a French woman NOT an Italian Man! In addition, she was born and raised in Provence, so of course there is an influence of food from the Med...

And now for the review:

Like anything else the book needs to be taken in context. It is a recipe book that builds on the success of the authors previous publications. In saying that, it is good to have the recipes condensed into a single book for the kitchen rather than the bookcase, in addition to new recipes. So it is practical and of more use than the other's in the French Woman series. Of the recipes themselves, there are many that can easily be adapted to your own tastes and dislikes, and can act as inspiration for those moments of 'What on earth are we going to have for tea?'. The author writes well, though sometimes the tone can be just a little annoying. The book is well presented and clearly set out - the high standard of the other books in the series is continued.

Like many books your ideas about it will depend on yourself, the reasons why you buy the book and what you expect to get out of it. Any book that promotes a healthier attitude towards food, going against the grain of diets, fads and guilt, gets my vote. Plus, it needs a light hearted approach. If the book goes some way in helping people to overcome a poor relationship with food - I know many who have - by introducing potential new ideas for them, and going some way to put right the distorted image of eating and image that we have in our Western societies, then that isn't such a bad thing. It's the French approach to food, not necessarily a purely French food cookery book.
on 19 May 2013
Yes, we eat too much ! This is a great book with some lovely recipes ... very easy and not complicated. It is another way to look at changing the idea of what you eat without having to calorie count or do the WW points. Very sensible and encouraging. I really love this book
on 1 September 2013
I had expected a "cook book" to have a lot less text and a lot more recipes. I didn't like the layout, the strange organization makes it impractical. A lot of the recipes are very basic or unappealing.

I recommend buying the book but passing on the cook book, it's a waste of money. Spending the money on a regular cook book with healthy recipes.
on 7 February 2015
Great book. I have already read so many books about healthy lifestyle. But it's always good to read it again and again from time to time. The recepies are very good. Recommended to anyone who appreciate good food and want to stay chic whole life.
on 22 December 2014
some lovely looking recipes to go along with the theory. I will definitely be trying these out. The book also describes Mireille's theory for how to stay slim which is good. I will be following this in the New Year to get rid of the Christmas excess!
on 30 August 2011
French cooking for Americans.... if this is what you're after, just fine.
Otherwise, hunt out something that's genuinely French, eat a varied and sensible diet with small portions of everything and you'll have done it all by yourself and much better.
Great marketing !
on 20 September 2013
Ok so I don't look like the archetypal French woman this book suggests I can but I do love the recipes. So whether you're following the diet plan or just looking for some lighter options there's something here you can use,