on 8 June 2017
As part of the Robbery Homicide team, Detective Robert Hunter is called by his rookie partner, Carlos Garcia, to a horrifying crime scene in the middle of nowhere. Hunter is used to nasty, it’s the job description, but the sight of the poor woman skinned alive on a bed in front of a mirror is even enough to turn his stomach. However, nothing is as mortifying as the signature carved on to the back of the victim’s neck... a double ended crucifix. The signature used by a serial killer that Hunter had already caught, a serial killer that had confessed to all the crimes and had been executed; a serial killer that Hunter had never really believed was guilty. The Crucifix Killer is back.

It’s not a big secret that I absolutely love the grittiness that is the world of crime but eventually the novels tend to all become a blur. The same procedural formula is used time and time again - which is not a bad thing as crime fiction is the biggest selling genre in the world. However, Chris Carter has shook things up with his debut novel “The Crucific Killer”. The first scene is a flash forward where we see Garcia - the rookie partner - is caught in one of the killer’s traps and Hunter only has so long to save not only Garcia’s life but his own too. It draws you in perfectly. From the first chapter, I was on the edge of my seat and determined to finish the book just so I could know who the killer was!

Using his experiences as a criminal psychologist, Carter has managed to create three dimensional characters as well as a fluid plot with just the right amount of twists and turns to keep the audience guessing. Hunter is your typical flawed but genius detective. He graduated school years earlier than he should, his paper from college is a textbook that all new FBI agents must read as a set text and he just knows everything - because he reads a lot. However, he is flawed due to his dependency on alcohol. Despite it being trademark characteristics for a fictional detective, I adore Robert Hunter and can not wait for more of his cases with Garcia.

My copy of Crucifix Killer has been read that much - from me rereading and me sharing it out amongst my family and friends - I’m on the second copy and I’ve just downloaded it on my kindle. The Crucific Killer is one of my favourite novels, and I happily re-read the series every time Carter releases a new novel so I hope you enjoy it just a fraction as much as I do
Wow, what a book, I feel as though I have been in a spin dryer, this is the first one I have read from Chris Carter and definitely won't be the last, one of the best thrillers I have read in a long time.

Overall it was a brilliant read which I couldn't put down and it had me hooked from the beginning. I found all the characters interesting and I would never have guessed the ending.

Another series added to my list, well done Chris Carter and I look forward to reading 'The Executioner' which is already waiting for me on my Kindle.

The only thing left to say is please don't take any notice of the the negative reviews on here, I know we don't all like the same sort of books but in my opinion some of the comments are unjustified. Try it for yourself you will not be disappointed.
on 18 August 2017
This was a good summer read. The story line is well thought through and there are no loose ends. I did not guess the ending which is always something I find enjoyable; there is nothing worse than guessing the ending by the middle of the book.
I have read one other book in this series (so they do not necessarily have to be read in order) and I have to say they were very similar. I am about to read the second book and will decide if there is enough difference to keep me interested after that one. All in all a good read and worth the money I spent on the kindle version.
on 16 October 2016
I have read Chris Carter’s books in the wrong order. This is something I would really rather not do. However Chris Carter is a genius, in terms of the horror he creates and the way he builds up humanity with the poor murder victims. I had no choice. I started with An Evil Mind and I am Death. I am now back to beginning to the very first story, The Crucifix Killer.

This is very much a debut novel. We are introduced to the great Robert Hunter and his methods. Hunter is an expert in psychology, who is working within the police and tackling the really horrific crimes on his patch. He was a child genius. You know the sort; a real clever clogs, with letters to his name. He is a nice chap though. He is joined by a new sidekick, Garcia. A man has been executed via the death penalty and it looks like they got the wrong culprit. Identical macabre crimes are being committed once again. The Crucifix Killer has returned. Will Hunter get to the truth this time?

Although I guessed the identity of the killer fairly easily, I loved it. I do read A LOT of crime, which makes me a Miss Marple in the making. I am very easily suspicious of characters who behave in ‘certain’ ways. I am being deliberately cryptic here. I don’t want to give the game away. The gore level is high, brutal and sickening. At one point, my stomach was in my mouth. Chris Carter does that so well. I could picture it all. Sometimes my imagination needs to be less graphic.

This is great, really GREAT! Well worth a read, if you haven’t encountered Chris Carter yet.
on 30 December 2017
For me, this was weak compared with The Executioner which I loved. It definitely feels like an early novel, with the story starting of slow and a bit bumpy. But the writing does appear to improve as it goes along.

Overall a fairly average story, but The Executioner (the sequel) gives me hope in the development of Carter’s writing. I definitely plan to continue on with this series.

A word of warning, if you can’t do gore and graphic scenes in novels don’t pick this up. But if you’re OK with serial killers along the lines of Criminal Minds then I do recommend trying out one of Chris Carter’s novels.
on 16 July 2017
If you ignore all the exposition of characters and their history, bits of which are repeated, and how wonderfully intelligent and capable our hero is but with an alcoholic flaw, you are left with a fairly good plot which annoyingly ends with more explanation and exposition. He is also very muscular and athletic but the only exercise he takes is his drinking biceps curl; he never seems to eat either but at least he does not smoke! Annoyingly I am tempted to read the next!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 December 2015
As many of my friends know I am a massive fan of Chris Carter and have kind of read the Robert Hunter series all a bit back to front, which in this case really highlighted for me that this was his first debut novel, it shows. Chris Carter has obviously grown massively as a writer as the books further down this series are a lot stronger and better written than this one. Despite that, this is still a very entertaining read with the usual grotesque killing style of a serial killer that Chris is known for.

When the body of a young woman is discovered in a derelict cottage in the middle of Los Angeles National Forest, Homicide Detective Robert Hunter finds himself entering a horrific and recurring nightmare. Naked, strung from two parallel wooden posts, the victim was sadistically tortured before meeting an excruciatingly painful death.

All the skin has been ripped from her face - while she was still alive. On the nape of her neck has been carved a strange double-cross: the signature of a psychopath known as the Crucifix Killer. But that's impossible. Because two years ago, the Crucifix Killer was caught and executed. Could this therefore be a copycat killer? Or could the unthinkable be true?

A big aspect of Chris's books that I like is he is not scared to get a bit gory and graphic with his torture and kill scenes, you also can't go wrong with Robert Hunter, kind of a psychological profiler genius come tough cop that is a highly likeable character all around. I have absolutely loved him through this series. The weaknesses in this book I believe just come from lack of experience and I would not let it put you off at all, but promise me you will keep reading the rest of the series to grow with the characters and the writing.

Actual rating is 3.5 stars. The beginning point of the journey of Robert Hunter and his never-ending quest to capture the most heinous of killers ever.
on 10 April 2017
This is the first time that I have read any books from this author, and bearing in mind it's the first book in the Robert Hunter series. I loved, there was more story and less dribble, meaning he goes from the police station to the under sight without having to read four pages about the park he's driving past.
on 5 April 2018
Wow just wow. So happy I found this author on my Facebook book group. The books I read change genre from gangland to thriller. More recently I’ve changed to police procedure books,I saw Chris latest book in my book group so thought I’d check out his back catalogue,you definitely know this author knows his craft coming from a crime background himself makes the book more real life. Definitely reading through his back catalogue and reading the books in order all though going by some reviews you don’t need to do this. If you like crime stories and don’t mind a bit of gruesome then I definitely recommend Chris carter.
on 3 August 2015
I enjoyed this book, the main character Robert Hunter seems an interesting character, and a little different from the usual police detective,I liked the developing working relationship between him and his new partner.I also liked the pace of the book.The killer was chilling and I had no clue who it was even getting towards the end of the book,I certainly didn't manage to work it out,and I like that. Good entertaining read, pretty gory in places but that is to be expected,I think the title alone prepares you for that.I would read more in this series, good book.