on 13 May 2013
This was just a run of the mill novel.I did read it all and it was about ok.The storyline was not greatand it will not be on my bookshelves.
VINE VOICEon 12 August 2016
The second book in this series and you need to read them in order. Refreshingly set in the 60’s and with an anti-hero of a Soviet double agent in the British intelligence service, his is an old fashioned proper spy series. Unusually there appear to be very few “good guys” as different agendas and conspiracies clog up everyone’s motives.
This didn’t quite grab me like the first one, but it is still an entertaining read with considerable pace. Paul Dark has escaped being identified as a double agent, but an assassination attempt at St Paul’s suggests that his usefulness has come to an end. In a desperate attempt to identify why he is a target, he goes to Italy where he finds himself part of a conspiracy of incredible magnitude.
The author makes you work here, making you think you can see the plot and direction and then constantly pulling the rug from under your feet. Some interesting ideas about the right wing in the UK and the agenda of the Soviets and of course Dark is caught in the middle of it all.
You can sense the panic that Dark goes through, and he is no super spy, but here the pace was almost too frantic and you barely have time to draw breath before the plot throws you again and heads off somewhere else.
Clever ideas and setting, but needed a slightly calmer pace and something a little different to the first book. Still enjoyed it though and have already picked up the next one.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 December 2013
The author is much maligned for the blurb about being as good as Forsythe, Deighton or Le Carre,I do not think that the comparison with Le Carre.Deighton and Forsythe is the author's fault as publishers will put anything on the back of a book to help it sell. The story is quite straight forward, and the location where Paul Darke finds himself are well researched. I did find that Darke seemed to be able to escape from some very unlikely situations rather easily, but as the author states at the end there is a fair amount of factual basis for many of the plots. Overall it was quite a good read, and certainly had unexpected and unlikely ending.
on 21 November 2010
I gave Jeremy Duns's first novel five stars on Amazon and almost wish now I hadn't. Not because it didn't deserve them - Free Agent is brilliant - but because there's no way of rating his new novel more highly.

Free Agent achieved something unique in its opening chapter: it pulled off a devastating twist, the only time I've seen this done so early in a story. While the first chapter of Free Country doesn't try to match this, quite reasonably, it's no less effective, kicking off the action in a startling fashion. The pacing is terrific and is sustained throughout the novel, each chapter ending in such a way as to leave the reader wanting more. And there are of course twists, some of the most wrong-footing ones coming towards the end after you assume all has been revealed and that you're on the home stretch. The last surprise is conveyed in an image that's cinematic in its beauty and power, and reminded me of the climactic scenes of at least two seminal 1970s films.

Thrilling, complex, peopled with fascinating and plausible characters: Free Country triumphs on all counts. Paul Dark's was a world I didn't want to leave at the end, and that's really all you can ask of a novel. I can't recommend it highly enough, and can't wait for book three.
on 14 October 2011
Despite the (selective?) favourable quotes from the Guardian and the Telegraph, this book is most definitely not in the same league as Len Deighton or Le Carre.

For starters, much of the narrative comes straight from the mind of the main protagonist, Paul Dark - in effect we're told the story instead of finding out through the action or characters.

The dialogue is pedestrian - for example when Dark hot-wires a jeep, his female companion comments 'That's a clever trick'; 'It can come in useful', Dark replies. Dull, clunky.

And the plot may be action-packed but it's sub-James Bond stuff, with the heroes using an unlikely ploy to escape from their cell ('somehow I hit home..', 'against all the odds it had worked'), the subsequent helicopter episode ('this was it, this was the end...'), and then the potential drowning scenario ('it looked like some kind of passage..'). It's not quite 'with one bound I was free', but it's not far off it.

I gave up with a hundred pages left, I simply had no interest left!
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 February 2011
As a life long aficionado of Spy thrillers, I love to try new contenders and the thought of somebody writing a '60s trilogy peaked my interest and the hype had me putting my hand in my pocket.
Frankly, I need to be more careful. This can only be described as third rate. It lacks on every front - pedestrian plot, cardboard characters and zero atmosphere. Deighton, Le Carre or Fleming it most definitely is not!
If you want something good from the new kids on the block go for Charles Cumming, Simon Conway or Henry Porter. All three of the aforementioned are up there with the greats.
on 20 June 2016
Sorry, I wanted to give a better review because I hate being negative, but really there are so many better writers in this genre. Sadly, like some other reviewers, I confess I did not finish the book. The writer has created a character that is unlikeable, therefore I felt no desire to follow him to the end. Sorry Mr Duns.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 September 2010
I enjoyed the first of the trilogy, Jeremy's first novel I believe, but noticed a leap forward in content and style with this one. I look forward to his third novel