on 2 March 2017
Good book to have on your preserves shelf
on 17 May 2009
I bought this book as a preserving novice along with the WI's Best Kept Secrets jams, pickles and chutneys by Midge Thomas. I prefer the latter but there are some fab recipes in this book especially the Spiced Dried Apricot jam which is sensational. The first chapter covers all you need to know about preserving including sterilising jars, setting points, equipment etc. the following chapters cover jams and conserves, jellies, marmalades (pink grapefruit and lemon is highly recommended), curds and cheeses, chutneys and relishes, pickles, compotes, candies and dried fruit, sauces and spreads and oils, vinegars and alcohol. Plently to keep you busy and a wide range of ingredients used so you'll find a suitable recipe whatever the season.
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2009
Seriously - where else would you expect to learn about jam making? The WI, sometimes regarded with wry amusement and dismissed as jam and Jerusalem, does tremendous work for communities. But even if they were nothing but jam they would still have the right to shout their existence with triumph. BECAUSE JAM IS IMPORTANT, DAMN IT! This is a superb book. Quite the best I've ever found on the subject. Easy to use, uncomplicated and inspirational.
on 13 September 2010
I was sure I could rely on the W.I. and I was not disappointed. This book was nicely written with clear no nonsense recipes,and so easy to make. The strawberry jam in particular was the quickest that I have ever made. I will be doing another batch of preserves tomorrow, love it .Mary (ex W.I member)
on 25 May 2009
I make alot of preserves using produce from my garden and this book gives some very good ideas and recipes that actually work.
on 12 October 2009
A good overall guide to jams and preserves beginning with a list of essential equipment. Everything one needs to know about the basics of making james and preserves with a splendid collection of various fruits to use.
A good "jam Bible" - the W.I. have done it again.
on 5 November 2009
A clear and concise recipe book with plenty of pictures.
There is a wide variety of recipes, all tried and tested by experienced cooks.
I bought this book for a friend. Maybe a friend will buy me one! here's hoping.
on 28 October 2011
We originally were shown this book by the owner of a B&B in North Yorkshire in the summer. We had complimented her on her apple jelly for breakfast and she immediately said (modestly) she had obtained the recipe from this book. We ordered on-line from Amazon at a very good price - less than £11. We have tried the beetroot chutney (yummy), the mango chutney (superb), and hot smoked salmon and smoked chicken in our little clay chimaea. The smoked salmopn is far better than what you can buy in the shops if you carefully follow the timings for the salting and do not have the charcoal too hot - our second go was perfect. The smoked chicken was too salty but that was our fault for not following the book: we used straight salt rather than a brine. All in all this is a lovely book, comprehensive and detailed and with very clear directions and superb pictures. This weekend we'll be making the apple jelly from fallen apples.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2009
This is a good book - I bought it coz as the review title states - who else would you ask but the WI!

It is an informative book on jams, chutneys and preserving etc. However the recipes are nothing unusual. If you are looking for a basic introduction to traditional preserves then this is a good book for you. However if you want to experiment with new ideas then there are better books out there.

That said it works well with an introduction to the principles of preserving, sterilising etc. Then moves onto the recipes.

There is nothing wrong with this book but it's not very adventurous.
on 21 September 2011
This book seems larger than it actually is. The recipes are complemented by excellent pictures which really inspire you to try them. An excellent starter book for preserve making. Good value for the money. Amazon packaging was high standard and the book was delivered promptly - something amazon are consistent with.