Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

on 19 October 2016
Looks like a great book to read from WW2 I got two of these as gifts but I am going to have to reorder one for myself. :)
on 24 January 2016
Certainly a very interesting book that gets slightly dark as you get to the section about knives but very enjoyable
on 30 April 2016
It is ok, but I expected something else I suppose. Anyway, it is good to know the very essentials of self-defence.
on 1 October 2011
An excellent book however one word of warning - remember this was designed more an an aide-memoir rather than a stand alone publication. I purchased it for historic value and to accompany a seminar, and would recommend that other purchasers remember its intended purpose rather than treat it as an end in itself.
on 7 April 2013
I am a judo player and at the end of our session we practise self defence and simplistic as this stuff is it works, thats why I gave it five stars.
on 21 February 2016
Witten many years ago but still relevant today - some good techniques explained.
on 17 December 2010
I am a fan of W.E. Fairbairn and the work he done.
This title is for it's time excellent.
While lot's of people may purchase this publication for it's historic value I feel modern self-protection enthusiasts would gain a good understanding of techniques.
I would like to add that as a modern manual it is lacking in many areas but as this title pre-dates most others by a number of years this should be considered prior to purchase.
The techniques within are often compliant techniques but again as pressure testing wasn't common practise in these days again it's important to acknowledge this prior to purchase.
I have listed this as 3 out of 5 stars as I think the quality of the print work is low and the book has an overall cheap feel to it.... but in it's defence you get what you pay for. I also feel that this title would have been better added to Fairbairn's other works such as Defendu and packaged together as both titles struggle as stand alone titles in modern combat training.
on 24 April 2016
It is okay and contains interesting advices. Finish the book in 15 mins.
on 24 December 2016
As advertised. WW2 original missing a few pages. Totally satisfied.
on 6 March 2015
I bought this for reference after coming across a mention of Fairbairn in an action novel. It's a fascinating insight into no-holds-barred unarmed combat, though some of the holds rely on you grabbing items of German uniform or assume you'll be carrying a rattan cane, so perhaps of limited use in a pub brawl.

Some of the manoeuvres are quite complex; you can see why they might have had to drill for hours to get it right. Thankfully, it's fully illustrated.