on 26 October 2017
every biker needs this clear detailed good
on 3 October 2015
Excellent quality item, interesting info within.
on 3 January 2018
Bought by mistake, I thought it was a motorbike book, It looked good inside though. Perfect for bicycle lovers.
on 21 November 2014
Nice all you need to know :)
on 14 January 2015
Really great cycle maintenance book
on 27 June 2017
Great
on 1 June 2016
I have started doing more cycling in the last 5 years and wanted to learn how to do basic maintenance and repairs to my bike, e.g. how to change brake blocks. I consider myself fairly competent regarding learning how to do mechanical stuff; I have taught myself how to maintain sewing machines and have got several old ones running nicely. I bought this book after reading all the reviews, but I do not find it very clear, either the photos or the text. I sometimes find myself going back to our simple Richard's Bicycle Book, published in the 1990s, where the photos are clearer, but where there isn't the detail that I want. I am still therefore, on the lookout for a book with better photos and clearer, basic text, one which will assume that I know nothing and take me through processes such as changing block blocks.
on 29 September 2012
The book is well thought out, written in a way that is easy to follow. It covers all aspects of cycling maintenance and repair, including advice on accessories and safety equipment. I think this is a must for any level of experience in cycling, as I'm sure even an experienced cyclist will find areas that are useful as a referral or reminder point, in order to maintain or repair their cycle.
on 6 November 2012
This excellent book will please both new, as well as the more seasoned cyclist. It walks the reader through a very diverse and inclusive "cycling journey", from what clothes one may consider (anything from and between wind-proofing and jacket material to cleats and glasses for light relief) to all sorts of comprehensive hardware and ways of adjusting and servicing information(from various types of brakes to fitting new reducers and bushings). I particularly appreciated the sections with both every day practical tips, as well as the more detailed in depth advice (e.g. lazy way of keeping the chain clean and healthy versus chain deep-cleaning).

You'll find information on all main types of bicycles, from road, hybrid or mountain bikes, and also all sorts of background information that help the reader make a complete sense of why things are designed as they are, or work as they work.

Easy to understand, not extremely technically worded, detailed photos along very clearly explained guiding text of how to proceed to repair, replace, tune up anything from your derailleur, to roadside repairs. And just in case, a very helpful glossary is included at the end of the book.

The much more detailed information of this book (The Total Bike Maintenance Book, 304 pages) compared to the Haynes' equivalent (The Bike Book, 192 pages) also weighed seriously in my decision, you get some 50% more information.

I would unreservedly recommend this book and since finding all I needed in it after owing it for over a month, it gets my full 5 star vote.

Thanks go to author (Mel Allwood) for such top-shelf work but also to Amazon for great pricing, great service and free postage.

Last but not least, since a preview doesn't seem to be available for this book, here is a list of the Contents chapters:
1) Kitting out
7) Suspension
8) Bottom brackets and headsets
9) Components
10)Conclusion

You will enjoy using this book for many a year to come.
22 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 April 2012
Save yourself a lot of money and "do it yourself". Follow this book it's great, everything you need for the backyard mechanic. This volume pays for itself the first time you work on your bike.